Writing on labels

This forum contains tips on the cleaning and care of your records. Questions and answers may be posted if they stay within this topic.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

bearbuns
Level 1
Level 1

Writing on labels

Post by bearbuns » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:14 am

I recently bought about 50 records at a garage sale. I discovered several them had names written on the record labels with either marker or ink. Is there a way to remove these? How much does writing on the label effect the value of the record?

ChadFromCanada
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Writing on labels

Post by ChadFromCanada » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:34 am

You could try goo-gone or lighter fluid if it's marker - pen is harder to remove I believe. It certainly lowers the grade on a record but personally I care more about the condition of the record and the cover - writing on the label bothers me less than on the cover.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

RidinTheWind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Writing on labels

Post by RidinTheWind » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:53 pm

I'd say leave it alone. Trying to remove the writing is more likely to damage the label, and the ink on some labels easily bleeds off with just water!
Anyone who thinks he has a foolproof plan hasn't counted on the ingenuity of fools.

karloffsidekick
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by karloffsidekick » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:42 pm

I've got a several hundred killer mint 50s & 60s seven-inchers with "Pauline Pepitone" written on each label.
In the antiques and collectibles biz we call that "provenance". God bless Pauline for having killer taste in
music and taking such good care of her vinyls. I think of her often, yet I never knew her. RIP.

RZ

Return to “How do I clean and maintain my collection?”