Beatles White Album repair.

This forum contains tips on the cleaning and care of your records. Questions and answers may be posted if they stay within this topic.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

vinowino
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Beatles White Album repair.

Post by vinowino » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:00 am

Hope someone can give me direction on this one.
I just noticed last week that the clear cellophane type coating has torn and lifted on one corner of my original (numbered) White Album ( I am quite attached to this one as I bought it new in 1968. Still excellent condition except for this) It is about 2 inch square top left corner.
Should I attempt to glue it back? and if so what adhesive would be suitable.
I have repaired many , many covers with ordinary paper glue, but not sure on this one.
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans. John Lennon.

mayerr
Level 3
Level 3

RE: Beatles White Album repair.

Post by mayerr » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:40 pm

I'm inclined to say go for it but stay away from acid-based glues and school glue. Also check the label to makesure it is safe for photos and artwork. I learnt the hard way ruining an album once.

myopiadesign
Level 3
Level 3

RE: Beatles White Album repair.

Post by myopiadesign » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:40 am

I assume you are talking about the UK presses of this, that have the laminate? I would leave it as is, too damaging to do anything to it. Just like with antique furniture, they always say don't "fix" anything, it's worth more in as completely original condition as possible.

CactusCowboy
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Re: RE: Beatles White Album repair.

Post by CactusCowboy » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:22 pm

myopiadesign wrote:I assume you are talking about the UK presses of this, that have the laminate? I would leave it as is, too damaging to do anything to it. Just like with antique furniture, they always say don't "fix" anything, it's worth more in as completely original condition as possible.
I agree, it's not likely any attempted repair will do any good. I'd put the record into a poly outersleeve to help protect it.

Return to “How do I clean and maintain my collection?”