Steam cleaning records -- first-hand observations

This forum contains tips on the cleaning and care of your records. Questions and answers may be posted if they stay within this topic.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

Graeme
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

RE: NOT Steam Cleaning Records

Post by Graeme » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:49 pm

Once off the cleaning machine he puts the platter onto a drying rod by slipping the rod through the spindle hole and then leaves it hangin' for a while.
This is really the crux of Rafter242's argument. The very fact that there is something left behind, which dictates the need to dry off the record, means there is something left on the record after the cleaning process (albeit, maybe only distilled water). This is a step that both the machines he mentions include in their regime.

My point was that machines like the Monks and the Loricraft leave the records bone dry (meaning absolutely nothing is left behind) and immediately playable.

Also, I don't have to wear hearing protection when doing this job :) .

weletthegoldfishgo
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by weletthegoldfishgo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:58 pm

If Dave will chime in here, he'll explain better. I don't think they have much remaining distilled water on them if any at all. He just hangs them on the rod to be certain they're fully dry before he puts them in a new sleeve.
The artist's life is the best life, if he can survive the first 40 years of it. --Thomas Hart Benton

RidinTheWind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by RidinTheWind » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:20 pm

I've been reading the posts here and it seems the argument for steam cleaning is the absence of an effiecient record cleaning machine. Even so, instead of risking hot steam, why not buy an airbrush or one of those power washing wands that use cold water?
Anyone who thinks he has a foolproof plan hasn't counted on the ingenuity of fools.

j_loop
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by j_loop » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:45 pm

I think the big question is "how dirty is the record?"
I have a vacuum rcm and it works great, but I've bought some rather filthy records (I do the tag sale/thrift store thing) and a hand scrub with a paint pad or a little blast from a steam cleaner before the rcm can make difference in breaking up whatever's caked on there. I've had records bought from a smoker's home and needed hand cleaning to sound good, (the rcm just couldn't pull smoke stain off it) and the rcm doesn't always pull those little white dots that lodge in the grooves and cause pops. (finger wrapped in a wet towel for those suckers)

In short, for the vast majority on records I feel a vacuum rcm is a wonderful combination of convenience and effectiveness, but for the few filthy records worth cleaning a little more involved method helps out beit by steam or scub or glue or whatever.

CactusCowboy
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by CactusCowboy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:39 am

Great seeing those photos, thanks Barrie!

At this point, I've cleaned well over 10,000 with my DIY record cleaning machine. I'd be lost without it.

CactusCowboy
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Re: RE: NOT Steam Cleaning Records

Post by CactusCowboy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:53 am

weletthegoldfishgo wrote:If Dave will chime in here, he'll explain better. I don't think they have much remaining distilled water on them if any at all. He just hangs them on the rod to be certain they're fully dry before he puts them in a new sleeve.
Actually, the RCM sucks all the fluid off, so they're in essence ready to play.

The steel rod that Barrie refers to is simply a staging area to hold records, enabling bulk cleaning sessions. Routine as follows:

A dozen or so LPs are cleaned, side one only. As they're cleaned, they go onto the steel rod, affixed in a horizontal position to the wall. The platter of the RCM (which is now dirty from 'side two' of the dozen discs that've been on it) is cleaned, in preparation for cleaning of side two of the discs. As side two of each disc is cleaned, the record is slipped into a fresh poly innersleeve and put back in its cover.

Hope this makes sense. It's a fairly efficient and thorough cleaning process. I can clean a dozen LPs in about 30-40 minutes.

RidinTheWind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Re: RE: NOT Steam Cleaning Records

Post by RidinTheWind » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:58 pm

This occured to me yesterday while using a pump sprayer on the lawn.

Buy one for cleaning records. It can be adjusted to a fine strong spray, looks like it would really get into the grooves and without the heat dangers of steam -- just make sure to protect the label.
Anyone who thinks he has a foolproof plan hasn't counted on the ingenuity of fools.

vinylvillela
Level 5
Level 5

RE: Re: RE: NOT Steam Cleaning Records

Post by vinylvillela » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:51 am

the melting point of vinyl is very low.

i would not suggest using heat.

Return to “How do I clean and maintain my collection?”