IKEA Expedit

This forum contains tips on the cleaning and care of your records. Questions and answers may be posted if they stay within this topic.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

CanadianCollector
Level 5
Level 5

IKEA Expedit

Post by CanadianCollector » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi guys. Does anyone here use this bookcase to store their records on? If so, do any of you have the exact inner dimensions of the cubes handy? Essentially, what is the clearance on the inside of the cube? Thanks, John

wheatthin
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: IKEA Expedit

Post by wheatthin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:48 pm

I have two of the 2x4 units both filled with records. I don't have the dimensions, but I get about 65-70 records in each cube with about 3/4 of an inch between the tops of the records and the top of the space. I tacked a thin sheet of luan to the back of mine so that I could push the records all the way back and keep them uniform in front and keep them from sticking out the back as there is space between the back of the unit and the wall due to the floor molding. The backing also helps keep dust out.

Graeme
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

RE: IKEA Expedit

Post by Graeme » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:27 pm

If you do a search on "expedit", you'll find loads of posts about these units - they're very popular with people who have largish collections.

CanadianCollector
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CanadianCollector » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:21 am

Hi and thanks for your replies. I asked about dimensions because I am wondering...if I buy a unit, a 5x5 or something smaller, would my boxed sets fit inside? Of course, boxed sets are larger than lps so if some of my larger ones would fit in there then I think I am one step closer to buying.

I like the idea of putting a backing on the unit so the records can on ly go in so far...nice idea.

The whole wall mounting idea is not something that gets me excited, a free standing unit would be ideal. Maybe that works better with the smaller units.

John

greyhound
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by greyhound » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:47 am

13 1/4" H x 13 1/4" W x 15 1/4" D. Mine is a 4 cube by 4 cube unit. Highly recommend these.
Make a fast friend. Adopt a Greyhound.

CanadianCollector
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CanadianCollector » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:59 am

Perfect! Thanks for those dimensions. I am looking at options for storing my collection and have been looking around at options, I like these a lot especially if I put a backing on them.

I don't like the idea of securing them to wall studs, I am thinking that smaller is better.

John

wheatthin
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by wheatthin » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:59 am

CanadianCollector wrote:would my boxed sets fit inside?
I have a Doors box set, the recent Nick Drake box, Pink Floyd - Pulse (box), and Zappa - Joes Garage box setiing in one of the cubes with plenty of space at the top if that helps. I also have some LP mailers that fit comfortably as well.

CanadianCollector
Level 5
Level 5

Post by CanadianCollector » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:38 pm

Hi Wheatthin and yeah, that helps. I don't have any of those sets but the fact that they fit is encouraging as they are boxed sets. If you ever do get a chance to measure the inner dimensions of the cubes that would be great.

Also, what is your feeling on the wall mounting versus free standing issue? Thanks,

John

j_loop
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by j_loop » Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:40 am

The inner dimensions I have are 13" high, 13" wide and 15" deep.
Mine is free standing and I feel no danger. Unless you have a very big and very rambunctious kid/dog I don't see a problem. They're pretty heavy themselves and loaded with vinyl only adds rigidity.

digvinyl
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by digvinyl » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:46 am

I've got several Expedit 5x5 units. Looks like the biggest thing in there is Zappa's Beat The Boots box sets and they've got at least 1/4" to spare.

Return to “How do I clean and maintain my collection?”