homemade record cleaning machine

This forum contains tips on the cleaning and care of your records. Questions and answers may be posted if they stay within this topic.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

Nitro
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by Nitro » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:32 pm

Hey cactus, make up a new arm and glue a piece of plexiglass on the end, and grind/sand to the shape of the tube. Then you won't have a hump at the end. It will sit flat on the record and pick up the fluid better. PVC glue also works with plexiglass.
"Excuse me, but who's the one with a big blinky "Best Butt" sign hanging on the front of their house with a pole inside???"- kat1370

to make that long link short "[url=" (no quotes) paste link, follow with ]my link [/url]"

CactusCowboy
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by CactusCowboy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:47 pm

Nitro wrote:Hey cactus, make up a new arm and glue a piece of plexiglass on the end, and grind/sand to the shape of the tube. Then you won't have a hump at the end. It will sit flat on the record and pick up the fluid better. PVC glue also works with plexiglass.
It's not readily apparent in the previous photo, but the end cap glued onto the vacuum tube is filed down to eliminate that "hump". The photo below provides better detail.

Update:

At this point I've cleaned well over 6,000 LPs with the machine and it continues to do a great job.
Attachments
rcm_vacuum_tube.jpg
rcm_vacuum_tube.jpg (32.7 KiB) Viewed 1009 times

Hammerheart
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Hammerheart » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:13 am

Can't you just use a shop vac with a modded handle to clean your records on the turntable you're going to be playing it on? Has anyone ever scuffed or scratched a record with this approach? How can I prevent from doing that? Also, it's been proven that hand-held vaccuums don't provide enough suction, right?

j_loop
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by j_loop » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:03 pm

Hammerheart wrote:Can't you just use a shop vac with a modded handle to clean your records on the turntable you're going to be playing it on?
I have heard of people doing that and the main reasons against it are convenience and risk. You'll be using liquid and holding the end of a vacuum on your record and therefore run the risk of having an accident and damaging your stylus, tonearm etc..My hands aren't that steady and I tend to drink many beers as I clean. Also people like to use their rcm's at a kitchen table or generally someplace away from all their gear. I'm not trying to talk you out of doing it as I've heard of people having success this way and it's a lot easier to assemble, just offering a word of caution.
And if by a hand vacuum you mean like a dust buster, I would say yes, not enough suction.

Return to “How do I clean and maintain my collection?”