FAQ: Record Cleaning Machines

This forum contains tips on the cleaning and care of your records. Questions and answers may be posted if they stay within this topic.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

ZevonFan

Post by ZevonFan » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:47 pm

I had planned to wait and get a Loricraft PRC-3 or PRC-4, but recently I decided to just get a VPI 16.5 (which unlike the Loricraft I can afford right now), and wish I'd done it a couple years ago when I started to look at cleaning machines.

RCDCollector100
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RCDCollector100 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:57 pm

So I guess the choice between a Nitty Gritty Machine and a VPI. The VPI wins. I'm sure they both clean well, just the setup/ use of the VPI is a little nicer for the price range.

dvdmoviefan1
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by dvdmoviefan1 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:01 pm

I recently got a Loricraft PRC 3 and it is working wonderfully, cleaning records is easy and quickly and fairly noiseless. I can clean records during the night when the rest of the family is sleeping :-)
Setup of the jar/bottle which received the dirt is a bit clumsy for such a pricy machine.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Great record deals at http://www.vinylrecords.ch/

ZombieStomp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ZombieStomp » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:14 am

I made a loud manual cleaner based on some paln I found here:http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner ... html#const
I want to make mine with a motor that turns the platter strongly, and make a cleaning arm instead of using the hose as show in these plans:
http://www.enjoythemusic.com/recordcleaner.htm . I would also like to know where VPI or Monks buys their motors, and make them with those. Since I have a wood shop and do custom furniture, I could turn a few of these out and sell for less and make some cash while making machines that clean the sawdust off my records when i listen to records after a long day in the wood shop! The vicious cycle that might actually benefit me!

Nitro
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by Nitro » Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:15 pm

Several motors like the one in my VPI here:

http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/d ... _motor.htm
"Excuse me, but who's the one with a big blinky "Best Butt" sign hanging on the front of their house with a pole inside???"- kat1370

to make that long link short "[url=" (no quotes) paste link, follow with ]my link [/url]"

RCDCollector100
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RCDCollector100 » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:10 pm

I am having a difficult time remvoing finger prints while using my record cleaning machine, lately. I also am getting a series of wet sloptches on a few as well.

Any suggestions? Is there a definitive process of cleaning using a machine?

throbbingpuppy
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by throbbingpuppy » Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:38 pm

For the fingerprints I would wipe manually with a lint free cloth before putting it on the machine. I have never suffered wet splotches so maybe someone else can help you there.

Nitro
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by Nitro » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:15 pm

What kind of brush and cleaning fluid are you using?
"Excuse me, but who's the one with a big blinky "Best Butt" sign hanging on the front of their house with a pole inside???"- kat1370

to make that long link short "[url=" (no quotes) paste link, follow with ]my link [/url]"

RCDCollector100
Level 2
Level 2

Post by RCDCollector100 » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:17 pm

Nitro wrote:What kind of brush and cleaning fluid are you using?
I am having problems with the MoFi cleaning solution. Not the Deep Cleaner but the normal one forget what they call it. First, its not getting the fingerprints off and its leaving wet splotches after vaccuming.

Nitro
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by Nitro » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:51 pm

Try some homebrew. 20-25% isopropyl alcohol, the rest distilled water, and a few drops (per gallon) of Dawn dishwashing liquid or photoflo. I've never had any problems with fingerprints. I've had some sticky deposits on some records that took multiple cleanings to remove though. If you're using a Nitty Gritty, you may have to do some manual cleaning off the NG, while supporting the record.

Return to “How do I clean and maintain my collection?”