FAQ: Record Cleaning Machines

This forum contains tips on the cleaning and care of your records. Questions and answers may be posted if they stay within this topic.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

vinylitis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vinylitis » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:01 am

Well, as far as I know, it's only available in Europe...for now... I'm quite sure that if is a big succes over here (which I think it will be given the very competitive price) it will be available in the states pretty soon.

You can offcourse always order online (here in Europe) and import it to the USA.

Also, I read yesterday that an upgraded version will be available pretty soon!

Well...I hope to own one pretty soon! (waiting for upgrade version)

Graeme
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Graeme » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:57 pm

vinylitis wrote:I'm quite sure that if is a big succes over here (which I think it will be given the very competitive price) it will be available in the states pretty soon.
Rather depends on what one determines as a 'success'. It's very easy for a group of likeminded people to lose sight of the overall picture. Here, we all collect, play or deal in records. In reality, we represent only a small percentage of the community - everyone else uses CD's or, increasingly, one form of downloaded product or another.

This means the actual market for any such device - particularly one that approaches a substantial sum of money - is really very minimal in size. You're now looking at a small percentage of a small percentage. The real market potential is probably measurable in tens, not hundreds. That's not a lot of encouragement to export to a country where there are already several existing products in competition for the limited business available.

Side note:

There's a company here (Spain) which used to make a carbon fibre record cleaning brush - a cheap and essential (IMO) part of any collectors armoury. A couple of years ago, I contacted them to buy a few for stock - we sell them at record fairs we attend - and they told me they had stopped production 'because there's no demand'. I ended up buying all brushes they had left in the warehouse. Anyone want about 800 carbon fibre brushes :) ?

The point of the above is that, if there's little demand for something which costs a few £/€/$ retail (and peanuts to manufacture) there's even less of one in the price range we are talking about here.

The other thing about the cost of this record cleaner is that, due to the additional costs involved in transport, insurance, import duties, etc., etc., it will probably end up selling in the USA at much the same price as the locally built products.

This will truly be a case of the boot being on the other foot since we, on this side of the pond, are always noting how cheap USA prices are for many goods and seriously consider buying from the USA for that reason. That is, until we start to include the aforementioned costs into the exercise. At that point reality strikes.

vinylitis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vinylitis » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:12 am

Graeme, Indeed, your detailed explication makes good sense. When I said I thought this machine to be a succes, off course I meant: a succes amongst more serious vinyl collector's: a very, VERY small part of the market indeed.

I'm only basing myself on the info I hear and read on the internet forums (germany & the netherlands especially), and people are really being very positive when reviewing this unit.

Offcourse, if it will ever be exported and sold in the us remains to be seen, and indeed, your arguments do suggest this will not be the case...

Are Cadence speakers (made in India btw) sold in the US? if this is the case, well then i suppose their record cleaning machine will be arriving sooner or later...

Graeme
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Graeme » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:20 pm

vinylitis wrote:Are Cadence speakers (made in India btw) sold in the US?
They certainly are - http://www.ossaudio.com/cadencemain.htm
vinylitis wrote:if this is the case, well then i suppose their record cleaning machine will be arriving sooner or later...
I wasn't aware they made one. Any further info? Nothing on their website about such a device.

vinylitis
Level 2
Level 2

Post by vinylitis » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:08 pm

No indeed, their website doesn't mention the Okki Nokki record cleaner, but if check the photograph closely on the link to the owner's manual which I provided, their brand name is clearly stated.

I also found some other "Okki Nokki" sites providing a link to the Cadence website, but I don't see the point as the machine isn't included in their product overview (yet?).

Maybe they are waiting untill the product is officially "up and running"?

originalbigm
Level 1
Level 1

Post by originalbigm » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:23 am

For the those who have some fundanmental hand tool skills you can actual build your own record cleaning machine.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-39608.html
Extraordinary how potent cheap music is.
--Noel Coward

showbizkid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by showbizkid » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:07 am

I must put in a plug for the Nitty Gritty. I've got a 2.5FI and absolutely love it. I use the Phoenix enzymatic cleaning solution available from Steevetown.com . It's gotten things clean that I thought had matter bonded to the grooves!
"While the poor people sleepin', all the stars come out at night."

RevolvahRecords
Level 4
Level 4

Post by RevolvahRecords » Fri May 05, 2006 8:00 am

I havent thourght this full though but couldnt you do the same thing as "originalbigm"-pics
with an actualy turntable just changing the arm to somthing similar as what he had on his design and maybe drilling a hole without harming the functionality of the turntable ????

RCDCollector100
Level 2
Level 2

Record Cleaning Machines

Post by RCDCollector100 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:53 pm

First, I am new to these boards and in just trolling around I have gain alot of knowledge in a short time. So thanks for sharing the advice. :)

I finally think I am going to take the plunge and get a machine to clean my records. I think the money spent will be well worth the satisfaction. Since its a rather large investment, I was looking to get some feedback on users experiences. I am torn between the VPI 16.5 and the Nitty Gritty 1.5.

It seems that they are both rather good machines, but I was wondering what the pros and cons of each are. I most likely will setup next to my turntable setup and clean a bunch of records at a time. So, I guess emptying the reservior will be a pain.

Thanks for any advice that is offered.

jones
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jones » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:13 pm

I use the VPI 16.5 and it has worked great for me. Emptying the reservoir is a breeze. It is hidden inside the machine and a connecting rubber hose with a clamp is opened to drain the sludge from the reservoir. I have cleaned up to 40 records at a time without having to empty it so I suspect it has a lot of fluid capacity.

Return to “How do I clean and maintain my collection?”