IKEA Expedit

This forum contains tips on the cleaning and care of your records. Questions and answers may be posted if they stay within this topic.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

Clive
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Clive » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:00 am

You never know what you'll find, but collections just turn up, particularly when they wind up in the hands of someone who doesn't know--or care--about their worth. I used to collect old Atari 2600 games, and had a few of occasions where I found games worth $70 to $200 each for $2 a piece at garage sales. The hardest part was playing it cool while I gave 'em their money! All that said, finding a killer collection of anything comes down to patience and perseverance.

To get back on topic, Expedits are pretty awesome for modding. I have a 4x4 and left out two of the top shelf's vertical slats to create 1 small box and a long rectangle; the small box holds albums 'on deck' and the rectangle holds my stereo gear. It hasn't made the slightest difference in the sturdiness of the cabinet, and it looks nice, too.

Clive
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Clive » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:06 am

I was watching a YouTube video about record collecting last week when this photo came up in the middle of it. Don't know where they got it, but boy, does this explain why the Expedit instructions are so insistent that you keep your shelves right side up with the long slats horizontal! What a nightmare!
Attachments
ExpeditHorror.jpg
ExpeditHorror.jpg (54.26 KiB) Viewed 1967 times

ShadySam
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by ShadySam » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:43 am

eee-gad!!! 8O

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

When the cabinet collapses

Post by B_big. » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:34 am

Clive wrote:. . . What a nightmare!
( ( ( ( ( ((((((( . Absolutely!! . Image
. Image
https://www.vinylrotation.org/
the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

Clive
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Clive » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:34 pm

Wish I had any ability with electrics at all - I'd do this to my collection in a second: animated LED lit Expedits

http://neophob.com/2012/08/expeditinvad ... kea-shelf/

Graeme
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Graeme » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:30 pm

Wish I had any ability with electrics at all - I'd do this to my collection in a second:
You don't any special electrical skills. As long as you are capable of putting a plug into a socket, IKEA will sell you complete LED lighting systems that you can use to do this sort of thing.

SID
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by SID » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:33 pm

Graeme wrote:
Wish I had any ability with electrics at all - I'd do this to my collection in a second:
You don't any special electrical skills. As long as you are capable of putting a plug into a socket, IKEA will sell you complete LED lighting systems that you can use to do this sort of thing.

I thought that I saw those LED lighting systems for sale there,the last time that I was there.

ronimous
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ronimous » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:01 am

I have the new 2x1. Already half full, need more!

Clive
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Clive » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:03 am

SID wrote:
Graeme wrote:

I thought that I saw those LED lighting systems for sale there,the last time that I was there.
Oh, they have them and I have some of the lights inside my Expedit. What made that particular set up special was that you could program the lights to make patterns or blink in certain ways--stuff that the Ikea lights can't do on their own.

karloffsidekick
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by karloffsidekick » Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:43 pm

Our 25-cube Expedit unit got a baby brother this past weekend (at my wife's suggestion).
We assembled the 8-cube Kallax (Ikea's replacement for the E) upon arrival and it's already
nearly filled (comps, monsters, soundtracks, Bond, sports, surf/drag, outer space, and
cheesecake)...weee!

RZ

Return to “How do I clean and maintain my collection?”