Hairlines

This forum contains various questions that deal with price guides and how to determine the value and grading of your records. You may post new questions or answers if they relate to this topic. <b>Please</b>, no requests for specific record values or estimates here. Use the "Value" board when requesting record estimates.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

romefalls
Level 1
Level 1

Hairlines

Post by romefalls » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:54 pm

When a listing says that a -NM album has "a few hairlines" --- what exactly does that indicate? Are they blowing smoke? I would think that the definition of hairlines varies by whoever is stating it. Does anyone know if there's a photo somewhere of a textbook example of a "hairline"??? I've bought 3 or 4 too many NM records on ebay only to have to send them back because of the surface noise. And not to get away from the question, I just want to mention that I've seen SO many records that look perfect and are virtually ruined by surface noise, whereas, for example, I have a copy of Jethro Tull's "Heavy Horses" that appears to have blemishes all over it and it sounds immaculate. This is why I believe it's impossible to visually grade vinyl. Which brings me 'round to what I'm asking about. Any input will be majorly appreciated!

jimboo
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Hairlines

Post by jimboo » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:14 pm

Grading is so difficult I just pay the money and hope their eyesight is better than mine, or vice a versa if selling :-) . The older the vinyl the less effect light scratches and scuffs has. Then again I just had a copy of Atom Heart Mother returned, the guy says its jumping all over the place, to me it sounds perfect apart from some light clicks on one track, as stated on listing.

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by mackdaddyg » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:16 pm

A Near Mint album with hairlines confirms that the person doesn't know how to grade a record.

Near Mint means the record shows no obvious signs of wear. At the very best (depending on how bad the hairlines are), it could maybe be Very Good Plus, but even that seems unlikely. Scuffs are one thing. Hairline scratches are another.

Granted, they may mean the record PLAYS like a Near Mint record, but they should specifically state that.

I would avoid buying from that person unless they actually have the record priced at a lower grade (and if you're okay with a lower grade copy).

johnnyrocket
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

HAIRLINES

Post by johnnyrocket » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:04 am

romefalls,
If I were interested in an Auction item, I'd get a note to the Seller asking to describe the "hairlines"!
I'd also check their Feedback!

If it doesn't "feel" good, it probably isn't!

GOOD LUCK!

johnnyrocket

vinylvillela
Level 5
Level 5

RE: HAIRLINES

Post by vinylvillela » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:53 am

anyone who claims a NM record is in that grade range...
when it has hairlines, doesn't grade properly.

i'm referring to visual grading.

many folks seem to do that when grading... well some folks, anyway.

is that intentional? lack of knowledge? who knows.

regardless, it ain't NM.

Heidler
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Hairlines

Post by Heidler » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:50 pm

Old Bedouin proverb:

" Never Buy... What One Can Not Eye "

H
The best part of the day...is the night...

KentT
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by KentT » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:46 am

Heidler, truer words have never been typed or spoken! Words to live by!

frictionmachine
Level 4
Level 4

Post by frictionmachine » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:41 pm

Yeah, if listed as NM, with hairlines, I wouldn't buy anything from that seller. They are obviously not experienced enough to be making any kind of grading judgement.
Check out our all-analog record label, Cavetone Records at www.cavetonerecords.com!

Return to “Tell me about Price Guides and Grading”