Gold mine bloody goldmine.

This forum contains various questions that deal with price guides and how to determine the value and grading of your records. You may post new questions or answers if they relate to this topic. <b>Please</b>, no requests for specific record values or estimates here. Use the "Value" board when requesting record estimates.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

vinylhound
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by vinylhound » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:33 am

I was spinning a pretty nice copy of Shelly Manne's 2 3 4 today. Plays great with three quick click pops. It has some noticeable marks. One that is very noticeable. None of them can be felt. I paid $1 for it and it is an original stereo Impulse. If I graded it as VG+ I think half the people would say okay, and half would roast me alive.

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Re: Gold mine bloody goldmine.

Post by annaloog » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:35 am

vinylsearcher wrote:Why isnt the coldmine standard rewritten ...?
Goldmine's, and others (Record Collector, etc), grading standards are a relic of the days when record dealers bought ads in print journals like Goldmine, Discoveries, Record Collector, etc. and these journals charged advertising rates per word. To reduce costs, a shorthand method to signify grades (NM or M-, VG+, etc.) was employed then as a substitute for a verbose accurate description. It continues to this day, when online auction listings have greatly reduced the requirement for standard grading (which is subjective anyway), however, online sellers generally don't take the time to offer accurate descriptions in their listings, despite that they are no longer charged per word. Some use photos of the item for sale. Anyway, my point here is: use of grading standards, Goldmine's or another's, is no longer necessary for online listings, when an accurate description (and clear photos of the actual item) would better serve the purpose.

Fireflite
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Re: Gold mine bloody goldmine.

Post by Fireflite » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Anyway, my point here is: use of grading standards, Goldmine's or another's, is no longer necessary for online listings, when an accurate description (and clear photos of the actual item) would better serve the purpose.
I agree.
With soundclips if possible depending on the site in question.

namralos
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by namralos » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:55 pm

Although there are many, many sales online these days, ALMOST NO online sellers show decent pictures of the vinyl surface itself. About half show only an LP cover, while
the other half have label photos. Many show single photos of the record and its cover from a distance. Obtaining decent photographs of the vinyl surface is very difficult. Most sellers appear to be using cellular phone photographs -- not even having access to a decent camera or scanner.

For that reason alone, accurate grading of the record is quite necessary.

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by hrtshpdbox » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:14 pm

namralos wrote:Although there are many, many sales online these days, ALMOST NO online sellers show decent pictures of the vinyl surface itself.
I show the vinyl in auctions, put up a sound clip, and list the grade (I'd link to one of my current ebay auctions here as an example, but one of the mods would feel compelled to move my post to the Ebay Auctions thread). Unless there's something truly odd about the record's condition I don't describe it beyond that - a grade is a grade, every record has one, every potential buyer is entitled to know what it is, and every reputable seller should accurately list it. Ebay's feedback and star ratings will give you a good idea if a seller knows how to grade.

vinylvillela
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinylvillela » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:21 am

Sealed records are so much easier to sell... by the thousands.

Try finding that at a garage sale.

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by mackdaddyg » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:07 am

hrtshpdbox wrote: Ebay's feedback and star ratings will give you a good idea if a seller knows how to grade.
There was a time when I would agree with your statement, but lately even the feedback system doesn't work as well in weeding out the idiots.

For example, I purchased an album from a guy who had something close to 100% positive feedback...maybe one negative. The odds looked good, so I placed a bid and won the auction.

It took five weeks and numerous e-mails for the guy to send me the album. He only lived a couple of states away, by the way. The VG+ ("clean" is how he described it to me upon further inquiry) album looked VG at best (and that's being charitable), and when I tried to play it, the record started skipping within the first 30 seconds.

I sent it back after contacting him and getting permission to do so, and ebay still had to step in to get my money back.

I rarely leave negative feedback, but I did it for that idiot in a heartbeat. I checked his feedback later, and people were still buying from him.

My experience could be a fluke, but I really think most of his buyers don't know how to grade either, and they don't care if the record is in bad shape.

I still buy cds on ebay, but I haven't tried to buy a record on there since I dealt with this moron a few months ago.

You're correct in that the feedback system can help, but based on the last few record transactions I've done on ebay, I don't really trust 'em as much as I used to.

LoneStarStomp
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by LoneStarStomp » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:56 pm

The most obnoxious thing about records has always been the grading standard. Even before ebay. The system is entirely too subjective.
hrtshpdbox wrote: Ebay's feedback and star ratings will give you a good idea if a seller knows how to grade.
Two words... Les Harris.
LoneStarStomp- Rambles about the Music of West Texas/Eastern New Mexico...
Diggin' It!!!- This and that sounds...

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by hrtshpdbox » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:09 pm

mackdaddyg wrote: There was a time when I would agree with your statement, but lately even the feedback system doesn't work as well in weeding out the idiots.
More than the "100% positive" bit (which just about everyone has), I meant confirming that the seller has a 4.9 or 5.0 in the "item as described" category, plus reading the comments left by buyers - if there's a lot of comments like "better than described" and "accurately graded", I think that's worth noting. Also, since feedback shown is for only the last 12 months, it's worth checking out a seller's lifelong feedback at http://www.toolhaus.org/

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by mackdaddyg » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:58 am

hrtshpdbox wrote:
mackdaddyg wrote: There was a time when I would agree with your statement, but lately even the feedback system doesn't work as well in weeding out the idiots.
More than the "100% positive" bit (which just about everyone has), I meant confirming that the seller has a 4.9 or 5.0 in the "item as described" category, plus reading the comments left by buyers - if there's a lot of comments like "better than described" and "accurately graded", I think that's worth noting. Also, since feedback shown is for only the last 12 months, it's worth checking out a seller's lifelong feedback at http://www.toolhaus.org/
Hmm. You know, I never have looked at those star ratings. I'll pay closer attention to them from now on.

Also, I didn't know there was a place to check lifelong feedback. Thanks for the link.

Return to “Tell me about Price Guides and Grading”