Gold mine bloody goldmine.

This forum contains various questions that deal with price guides and how to determine the value and grading of your records. You may post new questions or answers if they relate to this topic. <b>Please</b>, no requests for specific record values or estimates here. Use the "Value" board when requesting record estimates.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

vinylsearcher
Level 1
Level 1

Gold mine bloody goldmine.

Post by vinylsearcher » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:57 pm

Why isnt the coldmine standard rewritten, is rubbish it causes stress to customers and suppliers. People buy a Good graded record and its frankly horrid, scratch material. Everyone said vinyl was dieing, well its not, so why no revise it. I am looking for people to help me make this happen as a group collective. I want to be honest with customers, not let them think they know what they are buying is good when frankly its not.

thoughts?

wurlitzer1450
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

RE: Gold mine bloody goldmine.

Post by wurlitzer1450 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:11 pm

the problem isn't with goldmine, the problem is the folks who don't know how to grade records. people stop at the local thrift store and buy the mostly unsaleable records they find, buy a price guide or 2, and they think they're a record dealer.
near the little town of nervous, new mexico

vinylsearcher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vinylsearcher » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:20 pm

yes but should average Joe need to know the GoldMine standard, if you looked at a car that was Very Good Condition you would expect a decent car ?

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by mackdaddyg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:02 pm

To be fair, Goldmine says "Good does not mean Bad!" I avoid records that truly meet their definition of Good, but to other people, it ain't a problem.

Technically, a Very Good record should be close to acceptable at least for a playing copy, but as mentioned before, lots of people don't know how to grade records. I've seen plenty of so-called Very Good Plus records that would qualify in reality as Good at best.

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by hrtshpdbox » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:05 pm

It's not just records; for coin collectors, Good and Very Good also don't mean what they sound like they'd mean (they're below Fine and Very Fine, then comes the "near mint" equivalent of About Uncirculated).

Pacey
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by Pacey » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:10 pm

Near mint --> Great --> Alright --> Rough

That's all there needs to be :D

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by hrtshpdbox » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:19 pm

Pacey wrote:Near mint --> Great --> Alright --> Rough

That's all there needs to be :D
Also Great + and Great + +, though.

namralos
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by namralos » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:38 pm

In the old days -- before coin and card collectors started to take over the collecting world -- the basic grades meant...

poor -- doesn't play
fair -- probably plays
good -- barely plays with lots of noise
very good -- plays through with noise
very good plus -- plays through with some noise
near mint -- plays through with no noise; no obvious scratches

These terms have basically stayed through the years with some modification.
Now, many collectors are only interested in
VG+, VG++, NM-, NM, NM+, and M condition items -- unless the record is extremely rare.

30 years ago, everyone wanted an Elvis Sun (for example) in any condition.
Today, people pass them up regularly, looking for a better copy.
Lower-condition copies are now simply $100 "space-fillers." As a result, the span in price between NM and G used to be 3 to 1; now it's 10 to 1 or more.

Couple the fact that people are looking for high-grade copies with the believable assertion that most people don't know how to grade, and what we wind up with are a few trusted dealers who get 3x the listed values for their records in VG++ or better condition. Everyone else must build up a reputation before getting prices like those.

"Near mint minus" is the best one should hope for from an ordinary person's auction listing. When I buy, I buy one grade down. If the seller says VG+, I read VG. Sometimes, I get an actual VG+ record; occasionally, I get a G+ labeled as VG+. No, it's not Goldmine's fault. Everyone thinks they can grade records instinctively and without training. Maybe GM should open a school.

vinylsearcher
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vinylsearcher » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:52 pm

exactly thats much more truthful, i just want people to understand what they are buying

aravel
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by aravel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:55 pm

namralos wrote: When I buy, I buy one grade down. If the seller says VG+, I read VG. Sometimes, I get an actual VG+ record.
::: This sounds clever, I'm gonna use it. Good Idea. Thanks.
Many deceptions could have been avoided in my early days of internet buying.
8)

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

Return to “Tell me about Price Guides and Grading”