Goldmine prices vs ebay prices

This forum contains various questions that deal with price guides and how to determine the value and grading of your records. You may post new questions or answers if they relate to this topic. <b>Please</b>, no requests for specific record values or estimates here. Use the "Value" board when requesting record estimates.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

jmills
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by jmills » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:41 pm

hrtshpdbox wrote: Yeah, they embraced CDs and MP3s; the majority isn't always right, and there's frequently good and noble reason to rail against the tide.
It's funny that the same people that look at me strange for listening to music on vinyl, tell me that they could never give up the feeling of a real book in their hands. Vinyl and the Kindle work for me - giving away almost all of my books has freed up space for records. And as pleasurable as turning pages may be to some, I'm happy to be reading the 1100 page (with three hundred some odd footnotes) Infinite Jest on a Kindle instead of trying to read in bed with a book that size.

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by hrtshpdbox » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:09 pm

jmills wrote: I'm happy to be reading the 1100 page (with three hundred some odd footnotes) Infinite Jest on a Kindle instead of trying to read in bed with a book that size.
I like to mix and match; I read the 1,600 page "Reclaiming History: The Assassination of JFK" (Victor Bugliosi) hardcover book and perused at length the included CD of 1,000 pages of footnotes. "Infinte Jest" I gave up on in the late 90's after only being able to conquer the first 20 or 30 pages.

jmills
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by jmills » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:23 pm

Was Reclaiming History good? I would recommend giving Infinite Jest another try. It takes a while to get going, and the bizarre changes in time notation and unexplained alternate history details take some getting used to. But once you settle in with a few of the characters it's hard to put down.

jmills
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by jmills » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:35 pm

Just ran across this article that supports your view, hrt.

Don't Burn Your Books—Print Is Here to Stay

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by hrtshpdbox » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:56 pm

jmills wrote:Was Reclaiming History good?
A hard question to answer; I think it's almost dependent on what expectations a reader brings to it - if you want the most exhaustive "lone nut" defense going, this is it. I'm still undecided about the whole thing; I don't ascribe to any of the wild conspiracy theories, but I still think there's "something" odd about Oswald and his actions prior to and after the assassination. With Bugliosi's book, I found that my concerns about my own nagging red flag (Tippet) weren't addressed any better than other authors had done previously. Also, Bugliosi is hardly as objective as his adherents like to claim; just like other authors, he'll skim over areas of discussion that don't suit his purposes.
jmills wrote: I would recommend giving Infinite Jest another try. It takes a while to get going, and the bizarre changes in time notation and unexplained alternate history details take some getting used to.
I do need to, you're right, and it's those bizarre changes you cite that made me think I'd have no problems with it in the first place; I've read Pynchon and (most of) Joyce's "Ulysses" and managed to live to tell the tale. I'll definitely get around to "Infinite Jest" again.
jmills wrote:Just ran across this article that supports your view, hrt.
Good article, thanks; I think there's purposes and needs for both formats.

Rafter242
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by Rafter242 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:22 am

hrtshpdbox wrote:
Rafter242 wrote:...many of them as they were a great discographical resource
Another reason guides will never go away is, I think, the same reason books in general will never leave us - you can't cozy up with a kindle around the fireplace. There ain't nuthin' like a book.
San Antonio announces first bookless library

http://dvice.com/archives/2013/01/san-antonio-ann.php

The drums of progress are keeping a steady beat...
Always looking for the odd and obscure on vinyl.

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by hrtshpdbox » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:24 am

Rafter242 wrote:
The drums of progress are keeping a steady beat...
Oh, no doubt...time to get rid of all these records, I feel like such a dinosaur.

aravel
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by aravel » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:18 pm

::: I have an account on this social web site named TUMBLR, and I've seen Teenagers post A LOT of gif, jpeg and even video files of LZ, DOORS, BOWIE, BEATLES...old classic bands. And going further, many of them have posted pics of their growing vinyl records collection of those bands.

Not surprised that they're acquiring them, but yes to the fact that probably they're paying higer prices on eBay for them without even do a little research about them. Don't blame them: they grew up watching cds and iPods. A few of them will grow as Record Collectors, meanwhile, they keep paying those prices.

Also, old U2 fans have commented this new wave of colllectors: each new album or new U2 tour, the 'hard to find' 45, 12" and Lps rise their prices on auctions, as new comers are (obviously) younger, single and full of shiny loaded credit cards! so they don't mind spent above the hundred dollars for these records...this gotta happen with mainstream-classic bands. :o

gypsyeyes wrote:

Now.......I know that aravel said that is an older photo of himself.
But let me tell ya, to me he looks pretty hot.

Return to “Tell me about Price Guides and Grading”