1 or 2 Light Scratches

This forum contains various questions that deal with price guides and how to determine the value and grading of your records. You may post new questions or answers if they relate to this topic. <b>Please</b>, no requests for specific record values or estimates here. Use the "Value" board when requesting record estimates.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

bluevirgo7
Level 4
Level 4

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: 1 or 2 Light Scratches

Post by bluevirgo7 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:29 am

does look like he got the VG+ VG wrong if i where to list those the VG+ would be VG those look to be pretty wide marks, Nothing works better then a sound sample. almost all covers are VG or worse
i like the detailed explanation

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: 1 or 2 Light Scratches

Post by mackdaddyg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:02 pm

No such thing as too much detail. That's never a bad idea if you don't mind taking the time to do it.

Personally, if the record has any deep scratches (even if it's just a couple) that you can feel with a fingernail, I wouldn't consider it better than VG. Honestly, I probably wouldn't buy it unless it was super desirable and very very cheap. But, I'm really picky about how I spend my money on vinyl.

Using a turntable isn't bad, but if you get a cheap one, a record may sound all right to you, but terrible to a buyer with a slightly higher end turntable. If you're looking to buy a cheap one solely for the purpose of testing your merchandise, I'd consider just sticking to the visual grading, especially if you're being very detailed in the descriptions.

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Re: RE: 1 or 2 Light Scratches

Post by hrtshpdbox » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:43 pm

mackdaddyg wrote: If you're looking to buy a cheap one solely for the purpose of testing your merchandise, I'd consider just sticking to the visual grading, especially if you're being very detailed in the descriptions.
I don't see that at all. What's a cheap one? My Technics SL-QD33 can't be worth more than 50 dollars (I paid 15); it's certainly suitable for ascertaining audio grade, but I also use it for everything else. I really doubt that a better table would provide more accurate grading; in fact, I'd expect those folks who insist on high end tables that exaggerate any flaw to be pretty tolerant.

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Re: RE: 1 or 2 Light Scratches

Post by mackdaddyg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:13 pm

hrtshpdbox wrote:
mackdaddyg wrote: If you're looking to buy a cheap one solely for the purpose of testing your merchandise, I'd consider just sticking to the visual grading, especially if you're being very detailed in the descriptions.
I don't see that at all. What's a cheap one? My Technics SL-QD33 can't be worth more than 50 dollars (I paid 15); it's certainly suitable for ascertaining audio grade, but I also use it for everything else. I really doubt that a better table would provide more accurate grading; in fact, I'd expect those folks who insist on high end tables that exaggerate any flaw to be pretty tolerant.
I'll elaborate.....if you buy one of those Walmart turntables with the built in cd player that always sounds like crap to me (and I ain't that picky when it comes to sound), I don't believe you can get a true representation of what the vinyl will sound like. Thus, I don't think it's worth the money, especially if that's the only reason you are purchasing it.

That's just me. There's also a great chance it will do just fine for your purposes, but I don't know if it's a worthwhile investment, especially if you're being really detailed with visual grading.

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by hrtshpdbox » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:32 pm

mackdaddyg wrote:...if you buy one of those Walmart turntables with the built in cd player...
Ah, OK, sorry, I most certainly agree on that. Whatever gonzogenius does, he should avoid crap like that. Hunting around for 70s stuff at yard/garage sales (and from relatives who no longer care about it) is still the way to go to get a usable set-up on the cheap.

gonzogenius
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gonzogenius » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:47 pm

Ill probably find one on Craigslist or at a garage sale

Return to “Tell me about Price Guides and Grading”