How perfect does NM have to be?

This forum contains various questions that deal with price guides and how to determine the value and grading of your records. You may post new questions or answers if they relate to this topic. <b>Please</b>, no requests for specific record values or estimates here. Use the "Value" board when requesting record estimates.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

CactusCowboy
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by CactusCowboy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:21 pm

T-Bone wrote:Oh, my! 338 dollars!!! 8O :lol: I paid 20 for my copy in better condition, but on the other hand the guy I bought it from wasn't named Bob Djukic. What's up with this guy?!? Good reputation, yeah I know. But reputation for what? :? Along with every record you buy from him you get a house maid, a record player and a years supply of beer? Or what? Things like this can easily drive me nuts! Seriously. :lol: Are people really this stupid?
It's absolutely crazy!

I have a copy of this record in NM/NM condition. It was the lone 'oddball' record amongst about 100 Classical LPs my Mom gave me twenty years ago. A friend of hers had bought it cheap at a yard sale.

This guy "Djukic" is blatantly overgrading. How does he get away with it? Can anyone explain what exactly "VG++" is, and how it differs from "VG+" and "NM"? Where is "VG++" described in Goldmine? It's a bullsh*t grade, isn't it?

chewy
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by chewy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:40 pm

To me,VG++ is equal to an Excellant grade.
Stay indoors
Beneath the floors
Talk with neighbours only.
The games you play
Make people say
You're either weird or lonely

At The Chime Of A City Clock-Nick Drake
http://kurttherecordcollector.blogspot.com/

gbfrank
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by gbfrank » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:10 pm

To me, VG++ means it looks just about NM but I don't feel 100% satisfied to call it NM.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion, even if it's wrong, which it is, uh, most of the time, maybe....or not.

T-Bone
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by T-Bone » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:14 am

According to sir Djukic:

THE COVER IS NICE --- ABOUT VERY GOOD++ (VG++).

I guess he didn't feel 100 % satisfied to call it a NM. :lol:

Well, enough is enough. I'll move on and try to enjoy my life.
Attachments
VG++.jpg
VG++.jpg (45.77 KiB) Viewed 794 times

CactusCowboy
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by CactusCowboy » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:39 pm

I'd rate that one "G" by Goldmine standards, given the ringwear, staining/foxing, badly bent corners, and writing on back cover. God only knows what the vinyl itself looks like, it's probably trashed as well. Hard to believe some idiot paid over $300 for this. Looks like a three dollar record at best. BTW, it is a great Soul LP. My NM copy is terrific.

Again, how does this guy get away with it? I'm not an Ebay buyer, but if I were I'd make life hard for con men like "Djukic" by sending a barrage of questions, demanding they explain the blatant overgrading. Are the other sellers on Ebay so horrendously bad that this guy looks good in comparison?

As expected, nobody could explain to me where in Goldmine the grade "VG++" exists. It doesn't. It's bogus and deceptive. As for the suggestion that "VG++" is the equivalent of "Excellent".... well, EX or Excellent is not a Goldmine grade either.

Perhaps Goldmine isn't the final word or only way to grade records, but it is predominant, isn't it? So, shouldn't it be strictly adhered to, lest it become meaningless?

I also reviewed the grading schemes in my Osbourne guide. They suggest a three point scheme (Mint, Very Good, Good), or a more detailed ten point scheme. In either case, there is no "VG++."

mojo525
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by mojo525 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:33 pm

Good post, CC.

KentT
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by KentT » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:11 am

For me, a Near Mint record must be centered, have no visible major appearance defects on the vinyl or label. And have no significant audio problems save for the lightest of pops and ticks. Any of these issues noted drops it to Near Mint Minus condition at minimum, a full grade if very pronounced. Cover must also be free of tears, bent corners, or damage of any kind. True Mint Records I have seen fewer than 4 of in 40 years of collecting them.

vinylvillela
Level 5
Level 5

Post by vinylvillela » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:22 pm

there should be no question about "near mint".

if there is, it isn't.

merely an opinion.

P1nk_Fl0yd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by P1nk_Fl0yd » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:31 am

If I buy anything on Ebay I ask the seller for additional photos if I am concerned even in the slightest about their grading. If they want to sell me a record that's going to cost hundreds of dollars I expect them to comply with my request. If they don't I won't bite. If they do and I feel satisfied than I will bid with confidence. Otherwise I would rather get records in person. Record Conventions are out there and worth going to. Austin Texas has a great convention for record collecting just for example.
Looking for rare Pink Floyd boots. PM me please.
My turntables:
1973 Sony HP-310 w/ SS-310
1977 Kenwood KS-3000 w/ Amp + dual speaker matching set.

zb420
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by zb420 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:15 am

CactusCowboy wrote:
It's absolutely crazy!

I have a copy of this record in NM/NM condition. It was the lone 'oddball' record amongst about 100 Classical LPs my Mom gave me twenty years ago. A friend of hers had bought it cheap at a yard sale.

This guy "Djukic" is blatantly overgrading. How does he get away with it? Can anyone explain what exactly "VG++" is, and how it differs from "VG+" and "NM"? Where is "VG++" described in Goldmine? It's a bullsh*t grade, isn't it?
He also doesn't know sh*t about what he sells. He told me that Al Kooper worked on the second BST's LP. Kooper was fed up with them and didn't work on that LP as far as I know and this is one of my favorite LP's.

I didn't argue the point with him because after all .. he is, Bob Djukic..

Return to “Tell me about Price Guides and Grading”