how to grade records

This forum contains various questions that deal with price guides and how to determine the value and grading of your records. You may post new questions or answers if they relate to this topic. <b>Please</b>, no requests for specific record values or estimates here. Use the "Value" board when requesting record estimates.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

webkrawlerr
Level 2
Level 2

Re: RE: Re: how to grade records

Post by webkrawlerr » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:26 am

vinylvillela wrote:my take on grading....
VG has a bazillion small problems. most folks won't want these.
that doesn't mean they won't still play.
And I agree opinions are a dime a dozen. However, I need to chime in with my 10 cents worth on this.

I never liked the VG rating. It is rather ambiguous and can meet a very wide assortment of problems.

First, in Goldmine sense, I believe it relates to the vinyl and not the label. Goldmine says
" Generally worth 25 percent of Near Mint value. Many of the defects found in a VG+ record will be more pronounced in a VG disc." among other things.

I think there should be a VG++ and an EX rating mixed in there.

VG++ is a NM- record that has been played at least once but still looks and SOUNDS brand new.

EX - (above the VG rating). Upon inspection looks like a NM- or VG+ disc however on playing has minor imperfections rather typical of the disc's age.

I save VG when there are really annoying pops or ticks present...maybe not overpowering the music but still present. Or has cue burn.

Good is something I rarely deal with and usually do not keep unless it's an ultra-rare record and I have it as a place keeper until I can find a better copy.

Return to “Tell me about Price Guides and Grading”