FAQ: Asian Colored Vinyl LP's with the Cheap Covers

This forum deals with the category of picture discs and colored vinyl records. <b>Please</B> use the Record Gallery forum to display your picture and colored vinyl discs. <b>Please, no buying or selling</b> of records, or hyping of web sites here.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

Chromizone
Level 2
Level 2

Sergio Mendes Brasil 66' Red Vinyl

Post by Chromizone » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:41 am

Hi there, I'm a brand new collector who stumbled across my first piece of colored vinyl today. It's a copy of Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66's album Equinox. I've looked around a little online and discovered this isn't the standard pressing of the album. The other strange aspect of the find was that the LP's sleeve is a paper one, with a plastic sleeve wrapping around it. The color on the front of the album is a strange monotone as apposed to the regular color release. The back of the sleeve is black and white, and has an English chunk of text but also has some Chinese characters on the bottom left hand. The record it self says it was produced by "World Record CO. LTD. In the republic of China."

I was curious if this is the standard Chinese release of the album? A limited pressing? A bootleg? Does it hold any value?

I bought it on novelty alone, but it was only $2.00 (Can) so I wont be upset if it's not worth very much. I just wanted to get some more information on it.

Thanks for looking, if you know anything then please let me know.

dagwood.bumstead
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

RE: Sergio Mendes Brasil 66

Post by dagwood.bumstead » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:53 am

Sounds like a pirate copy. The "First" label was infamous for such records as you describe -- I wouldn't be surprised if "World" is the same company, or a competing pirate operation.

I've got a Marvin Gaye/Tammy Terrell LP on "First" whose jacket matches your description.

Here are a few more examples of "First" records:
http://recordcollectorsguild.org/index. ... ic&t=36879
http://recordcollectorsguild.org/index. ... ic&t=27970

Welcome to the RCG!!!
http://recordcollectorsguild.org/index. ... ic&t=63264

Clearing out... PM if interested, can hold up to 8 before shipping. US shipping $3.00 1st, add 50c others up to $5... cash, money order, or paypal (add $1).

dagwood.bumstead
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by dagwood.bumstead » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:54 am

As for value, I'd expect it's resale potential is pretty limited. Sergio Mendes collectors seem to be few, but it still sounds like a nice curiosity piece.

Clearing out... PM if interested, can hold up to 8 before shipping. US shipping $3.00 1st, add 50c others up to $5... cash, money order, or paypal (add $1).

Chromizone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chromizone » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:13 am

Thanks for the reply. I'll try and get a photo of the label so I can show you the "world" logo. Like you said, for me it was just a curiosity piece. I only own maybe 35 records myself (just started about 2 weeks ago) so it was a very fun find. Anyone else know anything about World Records?

P.S. Thanks for the welcome!

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Re: RE: Sergio Mendes Brasil 66

Post by annaloog » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:57 am

dagwood.bumstead wrote:Sounds like a pirate copy....
Perhaps not. I believe these Taiwan-issue records (originally) were authorized for sale only in Taiwan, but not for export.

Chromizone
Level 2
Level 2

RE: Re: RE: Sergio Mendes Brasil 66

Post by Chromizone » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:25 pm

I don't believe it's from Taiwan. It very clearly states is a Chinese print.

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by annaloog » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:38 am

Frim your description I'd think your record is most likely a Taiwan issue. Taiwan is the (Nationalist) Republic of China*. "Mainland" China is the Peoples' Republic of China. While neither recognizes the legitiimacy of the other's government, Chinese is the official language of both.

-------------------------
* Formerly Formosa, whither Chiang Kai-shek's retinue fled to escape Mao's army in 1949

Chromizone
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Chromizone » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:31 am

Thank you for the geography lesson, now I'll know for next time. Interesting discovery, upon closer inspection of the record sleeve there's a fairly large typo on the rear side. Claiming the band is "Erigio Mendes and the brasil 66". Smells like a pirate.

dagwood.bumstead
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by dagwood.bumstead » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:36 am

Pirate or otherwise, it sounds like it fits in with the carelessly-produced, low-quality issues we've seen from that area. Still, for a curio it may be kinda neat.

apesma
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by apesma » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:27 am

Chromizone--I have Temptations PSYCHEDELIC SHACK on the same type of pirate label you are talking about. I think its only worth the tunes...But its alright!

Return to “Picture Discs and Colored Vinyl Records Questions”