Curved Air - Airconditioning (1970) One of the first 'rock' pic discs?

This forum deals with the category of picture discs and colored vinyl records. <b>Please</B> use the Record Gallery forum to display your picture and colored vinyl discs. <b>Please, no buying or selling</b> of records, or hyping of web sites here.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

Steptoe
Level 4
Level 4

Curved Air - Airconditioning (1970) One of the first 'rock' pic discs?

Post by Steptoe » Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:52 am

I know there are plenty of picture discs before this - but would this be amongst the first mass-produced 'Rock' picture discs? seems like there were 10,000 pressed in the UK and Germany (can't find any info for a US pic disc issue).
Was re-issued on 2018 RSD as well.
As you may expect, not high-end sound quality, but it's ok - looks cool spinning on the turntable :D
curved1.JPG
curved1.JPG (29.52 KiB) Viewed 66 times
curved2.JPG
curved2.JPG (29.68 KiB) Viewed 66 times
My site on 45Worlds, trying to catalog those dodgy cassettes that used to appear everywhere. Mainly because I find them a bit interesting and a little time capsule before they went legal

http://www.45spaces.com/semilegal-70s-80s-cassettes

rooster
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Re: Curved Air - Airconditioning (1970) One of the first 'rock' pic discs?

Post by rooster » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:39 pm

back in the mid 1980s when I was in the record store business, we would occasionally see this disc come through the store. every one that we got (if I remember correctly) was from Germany or the UK. we always assumed they must have been sold as imports. we got enough of them that they seemed to have been sold in the US. In contrast, we used to get these kinds of LPs (whether Pic Discs or Regular Vinyl) that came in, in far too few numbers to be Imports (as a general rule, it was assumed that returning Military Personnel were responsible). As far as I know none were pressed in the US, but I could be wrong. Picture discs were never really my forte.

rooster
While the information he conveyed was interesting Rooster's communication skills need improvement. - Global_Dog_Productions

Steptoe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Steptoe » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:24 pm

Cheers Rooster,

Picture disc-wise, i've heard a lot better quality ones, this one is probably up there with the first Boston album, which, as i recall, came with a disclaimer about the sound quality - still looks neat though :D
My site on 45Worlds, trying to catalog those dodgy cassettes that used to appear everywhere. Mainly because I find them a bit interesting and a little time capsule before they went legal

http://www.45spaces.com/semilegal-70s-80s-cassettes

The Curator
Level 3
Level 3

Post by The Curator » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:57 pm

My first picture disc album was "Hemispheres" by Rush but that was some time later, a 1978 release I think. I was too young and uninformed about how they were manufactured to appreciate that the sound quality would be poor and so it pretty much put me off pic discs for life. For a while it also gave me a phobia about coloured vinyl but I fortunately got over that. Can pic discs be made to sound better nowadays ?

Return to “Picture Discs and Colored Vinyl Records Questions”