Cassette to digital conversion

This forum is for tips and information on the transferral of music from records to compact disc and other digital media.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

malhoward
Level 4
Level 4

Cassette to digital conversion

Post by malhoward » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:05 pm

Hi there! I know this is the VINYL addicts board, but I figured ya'll might also know about converting cassette tapes to MP3. I have a few cassettes that my Mom would like converted to MP3/CD. I am currently equipped to convert vinyl but not tapes. I don't really want to buy the equipment- I have so few tapes it wouldn't be worth it! Do you all know of any service you can recommend?

THANKS in advance!
M.
Learning the vinyl biz, one day at a time.

Follow us on http://www.Twitter.com/oldtimevinyl

Graeme
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

RE: Cassette to digital conversion

Post by Graeme » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:30 pm

I imagine there are a few of us here who can do this. It all depends on where you are located?

Fifty-Fifty
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Cassette to digital conversion

Post by Fifty-Fifty » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:09 pm

What equipment are you missing? If you can convert LPs, the only other thing you need should be a cassette deck. I can't imagine they cost much at garage sales or on Craigs List.

Global_Dog_Productions
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Global_Dog_Productions » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:00 am

Ion "tape express" supposedly does this. Basically it is a tape player about the size of a Sony Walkman that connects with USB and in powered by the USB. I haven't tried it so I'm not sure how good it is. I bought one at Office Depot for $60.

malhoward
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malhoward » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:38 pm

Global_Dog_Productions wrote:Ion "tape express" supposedly does this. Basically it is a tape player about the size of a Sony Walkman that connects with USB and in powered by the USB. I haven't tried it so I'm not sure how good it is. I bought one at Office Depot for $60.
Oh, HOW did it work??? Please update us on your results!

Thanks!
M.

Graeme
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Graeme » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:03 pm

For nearly every cassette tape you have to transfer, it's a fair bet you will need to alter the azimuth of the playback head. This is not particularly easy on many big decks, I suspect it will be nigh-on impossible on this thing (if it's anything like a Sony Walkman inside).

Do yourself a favour and forget all about this unit. There are plenty of second hand (and cheap) cassette players knocking around. If you are currently transferring records, you have everything else you need - except for a decent cassette player.

malhoward
Level 4
Level 4

Post by malhoward » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:57 pm

Hi all- thank you for the replies! Turns out it wasn't as hard as my feeble mind was making it. I run Audacity on an iMac, and got a cable from my boombox-type tape player's earphone jack to the iMac's mic jack. The preferences for input/output had to be changed, of course, but it is working fine for my purposes. Thanks again!
M.

Return to “Transferring Vinyl to Digital Media”