45-78?

This forum is for tips and information on the transferral of music from records to compact disc and other digital media.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

j_loop
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

45-78?

Post by j_loop » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:04 pm

My turntable doesn't have 78 rpm capability.

Is there some software that could take a recording of a 78 at 45 rpm and digitally pitch shift it up to the proper 78.26 (or whatever) rpm?

campp
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: 45-78?

Post by campp » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:14 pm

Different stylus tip, I believe.
Steve

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Re: 45-78?

Post by hrtshpdbox » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:18 pm

j_loop wrote: Is there some software that could take a recording of a 78 at 45 rpm and digitally pitch shift it up to the proper 78.26 (or whatever) rpm?
Yep, although I haven't myself, I know others have easily done this with Audacity and other recording software.

JGH1
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Re: 45-78?

Post by JGH1 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:03 pm

Yes, Audacity can do that job. I've been using that program for nearly 8 years to de-click album rips & general wav file editing. Stay away from the beta version, tho. Download the latest stable version instead.

audacity.sourceforge.net

Graeme
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Graeme » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:45 am

The speed difference isn't that much of a problem, most audio editing softwares have a pitch chage capability.

However, there are some other considerations. Firstly, as already mentioned, you will need a different stylus for 78's - in fact, if you being serious about it, you'll need several. Also, you will be introducing another variable where de-emphasis is concerned. 78's are not recorded to the same RIAA standard as later records, in fact there are loads of different curves used, as virtually each manufacturer used their own 'standard'- which means there isn't any standard to speak of. On top of all that, you will be compunding the de-emphasis issue by playing the record at the incorrect speed.

Unless you are aware of what is going on, it's probably best to do the transfer (at 45 rpm and using a suitable stylus) without any de-emphasis, resample to the correct speed and then apply de-emphasis using the software.

j_loop
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by j_loop » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:47 pm

Wow! Thanks everyone! I just downloaded Audacity and changing the speed looks to be a breeze. Did not think I'd be that easy or free!

I have a proper 78 stylus, but just one. I realize for perfection and the great archival quality stuff you (Graeme) do a variety is necessary, but until I have more than a handful of 78s it'll have to do.

I completely forgot about the different RIAA curves back then. The method you advocate for me at the end of your post seems logical and something I can do, however what software is there to "apply the de-emphasis?" I looked through Audacity's effects and didn't see any. Unless you can use an equalizer, but that doesn't sound right?

Thanks for all the input!

JGH1
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by JGH1 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:41 am

Audacity does have a few EQ presets for older recordings. Highlight the file, then pull down the effects menu to equalization. The different presets are on the lower part of the EQ window.

You'll need to download the plug-ins if you didn't already do that. They're in a different download than the main program.

j_loop
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by j_loop » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:09 am

Ah, I didn't see that. Very convenient!!

veganboyjosh
Level 3
Level 3

Post by veganboyjosh » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:35 pm

i know this is an older thread, but it's of interest to me.

i'm using a usb turntable at the moment, and am wondering if there are even 78 styli for it? where would i look for this?

how do i know how many plays i can get out of a stylus? i've got a handful, and i'd be using this setup to rip the 78's into the computer, so i wouldn't be playing them repeatedly.

JGH1
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by JGH1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:25 pm

Josh, there may be styli available. You'll need the cartridge brand and model number. That info should be in the literature that came with the turntable. Needledoctor.com is one place to start but I'm sure there are other sites with a better selection.

Graeme, do you know of a better place to look for replacement styli?

Return to “Transferring Vinyl to Digital Media”