vinyl to dvd

This forum is for tips and information on the transferral of music from records to compact disc and other digital media.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

Graeme
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

RE: Re: RE: vinyl to dvd

Post by Graeme » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:44 am

MP3's get rid of the extreme frequencies on both ends of the spectrum.
It's a bit more complicated than that! MP3's use perceptual encoding. Here's one (of many) descriptions of how this works - http://oreilly.com/catalog/mp3/chapter/ch02.html

RidinTheWind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by RidinTheWind » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:05 pm

Interesting link.

The theory behind the model for MP3 coding just does not translate into reality. The music just sounds awful. Too much is missing.
Anyone who thinks he has a foolproof plan hasn't counted on the ingenuity of fools.

Graeme
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Graeme » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:14 pm

The music just sounds awful. Too much is missing.
:) I suppose that rather depends on the listener's perception. I suspect that many, if not most, would not be able to tell the difference between an uncompressed music file and an MP3 at one of the higher bitrates. Although the 'net seems to have settled on 128 for general use, as a good compomise between size and quality, it is a bit low for anything approaching critical listening.

RidinTheWind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by RidinTheWind » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:19 pm

Many of the radio stations here have converted most if not all of their music library (usually a staggering total of about 200 songs :( ) to MP3, and the difference in sound between their music and the same music played on stations that have not just stands out. At least to me, a friend of mine notices no difference.
Anyone who thinks he has a foolproof plan hasn't counted on the ingenuity of fools.

bluevirgo7
Level 4
Level 4

Post by bluevirgo7 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:38 am

most people probably wont notice commercial music always goes for the cheapest easiest route and if you've grown up on MP3 that is normal your brain has adapted to that type of hearing. seems to me MP3 is taking out way more then extreme highs and lows they are also taking out
most if not all the overtones which are essential esp for acoustic music dance pop it does not matter so much. anything with nuance or dynamics sounds like utter crap when mp3ed.

I Just checked out the Music Instinct the Science of Song. It has Daniel Levitin who wrote this is your brain on music. he was a record producer before he became a neuro scientist so he ahs both bases covered. This DVD is full of interesting stuff. I highly recommend it. They use an fMRI to show exactly what areas of the brain light up when exposed to music The Mp3 encoding theory might be a little dated.

Moser
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Moser » Wed May 25, 2011 9:29 am

Sometimes if I have a recording, for example a double album that will not fit on a single CD I instead make a DVD using a photo of the record as the "video" content. You could get creative and make a more interesting video montage but as for getting the whole recording onto a single disc it works great. This is using video editing/burning software though, not a DVD recorder.

Return to “Transferring Vinyl to Digital Media”