my cheap usb turntable speed failed, i need options

This forum is for tips and information on the transferral of music from records to compact disc and other digital media.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

Northwinds
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Northwinds » Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:11 pm

USB turntables are disposable items, get a real turntable. I use a Platinum Live! soundcard that has RCA inputs and I have control over whether I use a MM or MC cartridges with an external Perreaux SA3 preamp for computer recording. The sound will be so much better, you will make better recordings and not ruin your priceless records with a cheap stylus
ye black knight wrote:
I hath no quarrel with men whom engage'eth in 'wang-wrestling' with other menfolk

Fireflite
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Fireflite » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:21 pm

@fireflite: I never have appreciated 45's they only have one song per side where's the fun in that?
Well, isn't it about time you tried?

All killer, no filler. How many albums do you have that are at least half disposable dross?

kimzter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kimzter » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:46 am

@ northwinds I have decided to get a real turntable :) but I don't really know much about them anymore.

@ fireflite I intended no insult. But I have always listened to whole albums at a time, I was never one of those guys that would put an album on, play a song then change it out. There are a few albums that I only play one side of though.

This website is great wish I had done this ten years ago :)

Fireflite
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Fireflite » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:06 am

None taken.
But you are missing a lot of great stuff.

How many "sides" are there that are all killer, I can't think of many.

T

kimzter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kimzter » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:08 am

zepplin 4 , bruised orange by john Prine , The Wall, the first Bob Dylan, Brothers in Arms, Highway 61 revisited, Innagadda da vida(just the one side though) The first George Thorogood, That's just off the top of my head :)
I realize that beauty is in the ear of the beholder and what sounds good to me might not to others. and I wouldn't refuse 45's, I just don't have any

Fireflite
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Fireflite » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:10 pm

Fair enough if you're a happy camper, don't mess with it .
but............

T

kimzter
Level 3
Level 3

Post by kimzter » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:48 pm

I bought a used Denon turntable and a preamp. Works good :) Sounds better than the usb for sure.

vinylcrates
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vinylcrates » Mon May 19, 2014 5:49 pm

I agree with earlier posters that your failed USB turntable probably isn't giving a high quality sound, which is realyy important especially for archiving to CD or listening for pleasure - I went with the Project Elemental USB deck which has both stereo and USB-B outputs and sounds really good for the money. Plus you cab get it in red, white or black - I went for red and I'm pleased with it.

RidinTheWind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by RidinTheWind » Mon May 19, 2014 6:19 pm

Fifty-Fifty wrote:
At least, if you own the records, where's the appreciation in digitizing your vinyl record?!
Having a digital copy means you can listen to it other than in the room where you keep your analog rig. Also, playing the digital copy means you aren't adding incrementally to the wear on the vinyl.

Granted, it's not nearly as much fun, but there are good reasons for it.
Also, having a digital copy gives you a backup in case something happens to the record, and if anything happens to any of your records, you can bet it will happen to those that are hardest to find.
Anyone who thinks he has a foolproof plan hasn't counted on the ingenuity of fools.

vinyl collector
Level 2
Level 2

Re: my cheap usb turntable speed failed, i need options

Post by vinyl collector » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:59 am

I really can't recommend someone to buy one of these "USB turntables". It's much better to buy an ordinary turntable with phone plugs. New OR used... it doesn't matter. The old turntables eg. Thorens, Rega, Dual, Pro-Ject, Lenco, Technics, Sony, Kenwood, Nikko and so on are all much better than the "new" USB ones.

My personal favorite brand is old Thorens turntables. I have at least 10 of these in my HiFi "collection".

Return to “Transferring Vinyl to Digital Media”