caravelles paper pic disc

This forum is to serve as a gallery to display picture discs, colored vinyl, shaped or other rare and VERY interesting records. Include release information (label and catalogue no., country, year, etc.) with the photo or scan. Due to server size limitations, we ask that common or large production discs be excluded. <B>Please</B>, no buying or selling of discs here. Please observe the "flooding" regulation that is posted in the Rules and Regulations.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

wurlitzer1450
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

caravelles paper pic disc

Post by wurlitzer1450 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:12 am

this is the girl group that had the big hit "you don't have to be a baby to cry"

near the little town of nervous, new mexico

Mikey
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

RE: caravelles paper pic disc

Post by Mikey » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:46 am

Paper picture disc? What does that mean?

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

RE: caravelles paper pic disc

Post by annaloog » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:47 pm

It is a clear plastic film bearing the audio groove laminated onto paper backing. They were mainly used for advertising purposes, as they could be bound in magazines or other periodicals, sent via the postal system, or simply given away as a promotion. A few other Columbia Auravision examples may be found here ....

Shadows of Knight

Auravision record

Red Skelton

Sounds of Self defense picture disc

ShadySam
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by ShadySam » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:06 pm

how many of those 1960's cereal box rekkidz are still a-spinning, i wonder.... :?:

wand143
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by wand143 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:14 pm

I dunno - I just picked up the cereal box version of "Sugar Sugar" by The Archies and it still sounded pretty good. I know there's a website devoted to classic cereal box records.
Other Auravision records in my collection include a promo record by Lorne Greene for Chevrolet; "The Wrangler Stretch" by Joyce Williams (horribly dubbed but in my opinion a possible Northern Soul advertising record...funny that nobody else ever mentioned this one); a Lawrence Welk Christmas promo for Dodge circa 1958; and a promo record for Seeburg Audio Systems.
"That big ol' hole, little bitty record...nobody's gonna buy that!" - Carl Perkins, 1956

sun-rocker
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by sun-rocker » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:07 am

I have some of these thin paper/cardboard records and they have a very limited sound quality. Sometimes it's nearly impossible to play them 'cause the are warped like hell.

I also have some playable postcards from the 50's and 60's. This idea was much older - I own a small playable postcard from the late 20's/early 30's - but this one won't play anymore. The plastic is getting smaller while aging and the postcard is now heavy warped.

Return to “Record Gallery”