ION Turntable for a starter??

This forum is for the discussion of music related hardware. This includes turntables, amplifiers, mixers, speakers and any other music related accessories.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

philiprollett
Level 2
Level 2

ION Turntable for a starter??

Post by philiprollett » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:30 pm

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a starter speakers built in record player for a friends birthday and I was wondering if anyone had come across these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Max-LP-Conversi ... +turntable

The player has good reviews on Amazon but that's not always reliable. What is everyones thoughts?

CactusCowboy
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

RE: ION Turntable for a starter??

Post by CactusCowboy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:12 pm

I'm not familiar with that model but a few years ago a friend gave me his record collection along with an Ion turntable, TT-USB if I remember correctly. I was wholly unimpressed with the Ion. It was clearly very low quality, lots of plastic, and Made In China. So I passed it on, giving it away.

The unit you're looking at would probably be OK for a youngster or a casual listener less concerned with quality playback. I do know folks who are happy with inexpensive Ion and Crosley turntables.

If "Hi Fi" quality is the goal, a vintage turntable, amps and speakers would be a better value for the money and likely give far better results.

If buying new is preferred, you might look at the Audio Technica AT-PL120. I have a friend who owns it and for what it is (Technics SL-1200 clone) it's not bad.

I_AM_CANADIAN
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by I_AM_CANADIAN » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:22 pm

I can second the AT-LP120 recommendation - I have one right now - but it's a more expensive turntable, around $300 on Amazon, and sans built-in speakers.
He who would be free must not conform- Oscar Wilde

vinyl1
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by vinyl1 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:07 pm

The Ion turntables are widely known as the biggest pieces of garbage of all time, and will ruin your records in short order.

I suggest you look to the turntable forum on audiokarma.org for advice on a starter turntable. Unfortunately, the selection of new turntables in the lower price ranges is rather sparse.

geo58000
Level 5
Level 5

Post by geo58000 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:23 am

Be patient, and go vintage.
Not to be morbid, but nowadays are a boomtime for 70's-80's vintage equipment, as
many folks who bought nice mid-line to top-of-the-line systems are passing on, and their kids don't want to deal with
selling it. A lot of these systems are ending up in thrift stores, for pennies on the dollar.
A $35 Marantz/ Pioneer/ Akai /Dual turntable may only need a new belt, or a cartridge/stylus.
Total cost: usually less than $200.

Return to “Hardware and Accessories Questions”