Speakers Made by Audio Technica

This forum is for the discussion of music related hardware. This includes turntables, amplifiers, mixers, speakers and any other music related accessories.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

RidinTheWind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Speakers Made by Audio Technica

Post by RidinTheWind » Thu May 15, 2014 5:58 pm

I ran across these the other day at the thrift store. They were large squares standing about one inch off of a square base of the same dimensions. They were called Direct Point, were two way, had a dial for adjusting the crossover, and had a DP logo on the grills.

I was able to test them. The tweeter or crossover on one was bad, and I can't say that I was impressed with the sound. Though, they were connected up to an old Panasonic compact system (tape, TT, CD). So, this may have been the cause. Yet in the past, good sounding speakers have still shown potential even when connected up to junky equipment.

So, anyone familiar with these? Are they any good? (Sorry, I don't recall the model.)
Anyone who thinks he has a foolproof plan hasn't counted on the ingenuity of fools.

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Re: Speakers Made by Audio Technica

Post by annaloog » Fri May 16, 2014 4:43 am

RidinTheWind wrote:... I was able to test them. The tweeter or crossover on one was bad, and I can't say that I was impressed with the sound. Though, they were connected up to an old Panasonic compact system (tape, TT, CD). So, this may have been the cause....
Did you switch speaker connections round to be able to decide whether the speaker or the particular amp channel was the culprit?

RidinTheWind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Re: Speakers Made by Audio Technica

Post by RidinTheWind » Fri May 16, 2014 6:20 pm

No, it didn't seem worth the effort, just didn't care for their sound.
Anyone who thinks he has a foolproof plan hasn't counted on the ingenuity of fools.

Rick-TV!
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Rick-TV! » Sun May 18, 2014 4:13 pm

Sounds like Design Acoustics' PointSource speakers...maybe PS-10s. Interesting design, and they're actually 3-way - there's a 10" woofer on the bottom. I had a fling with a pair that turned out to have bad tweeters. AND bad foam. I had to unbolt the base to see that. I got them because I liked my PS-6s so much. Those were a little more conventional, but you wouldn't believe the imaging.

RidinTheWind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by RidinTheWind » Mon May 19, 2014 6:03 pm

I did a look up. I think you're right. Though, the woofers must have needed refoamed, for the bass sound was weak.

Return to “Hardware and Accessories Questions”