Newbie with hardware questions.

This forum is for the discussion of music related hardware. This includes turntables, amplifiers, mixers, speakers and any other music related accessories.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

photoj
Level 1
Level 1

Newbie with hardware questions.

Post by photoj » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:07 pm

Hello all, I'm new to this and have decided on a turntable and speakers but I'm clueless when it comes to an amp or preamp or whatever is needed. I want it simple and what I'm wondering is should I be buying a normal stereo amp with a phono set up or do I need that plus the preamp. I'm not an audiophile, yet, I'm just looking to have simple set up to listen to the my vinyl. The speakers I have on order are not active speakers as far as I know.

Help please and I'm doing this on a budget.

stephenjaye
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by stephenjaye » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:41 pm

If you find a nice amp with a phono input, a preamp for your turntable's output is not needed.

photoj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by photoj » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:59 pm

Thanks Stephen

elvisluvs
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by elvisluvs » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:58 am

Another route is a cheapish pre-amp and a t-amp setup. I drive a set of old a/d/s speakers well and clean. The boss yells downstairs at 4/ 10 volume to turn it down. I used the "cheaper" t-amp for a while. I was a big spender and upgraded to the 25wx2 amp . I found it for about $40 shipped. Small components, cheap price; quite nice sounding. Hth-m
Ps- this route should be doable in the $50-75 range.

Fifty-Fifty
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Fifty-Fifty » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:43 pm

The basic audio chain goes like this:

turntable=>phono preamp=>preamp=>amplifier=>speakers

You can buy them all as separate pieces, but it's more common, not to mention more cost-effective, to combine some of the elements in single components. In particular, a phono preamp is sometimes built into a table, and sometimes into an integrated amp (which includes preamp and amp) or receiver (which includes a tuner).

Given that you say you're one a budget, the best option might be a stereo receiver, which typically includes a phono preamp. What is your budget? And what speakers and turntable have you picked out?

photoj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by photoj » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:09 pm

Thanks for the info, I went with the white U Turn Orbit turntable with the Grado Blue 1 cartridge, Polk Rti A1 speakers and I ended up finding a Yamaha RX-550 receiver with phono, in mint condition for $75, not the V550. So thats my simple starter set up so far.

This is the amp.
http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/yamaha_nat ... ter_3.html

vinyl1
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by vinyl1 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:19 am

That is a nice beginner setup. You might want to look at the turntable forum on AudioKarma, where many guys discuss these matters in great detail.

Return to “Hardware and Accessories Questions”