For the sake of argument, there are capacitors that store their charge for a couple days. IMO, the chances of finding one in one of those 20-watt tube amps they put in consoles is slim to none.RidinTheWind wrote:I recall reading that it may take a day or two for the charge in a capacitor to bleed off by itself and that the shock from some can be very bad. Best to short the two leads with an insulated screw driver. You will likely hear a loud pop.
BTW- The caps that bite the hardest are the plastic "cans" you'll find atop the chassis or even mounted separately, but they are by no means lethal as long as your amplifier is not plugged into a 110vac receptacle. They look like hard plastic cylinders from 4-6" tall with terminal screws or spade connectors on one end instead of axial wire leads. If it makes one feel safer, do as he suggests and touch a blade of an old screwdriver across the terminals or use a one-foot length of #12 insulated solid wire from an old home repair job. Strip the ends a bit, bend 'er in half, and spark away- it's not like the thing is gonna blow away your pinky. If there are more than two terminals on the end, that means that the can is actually two or more capacitors in one package. Spark 'em all!