Suggestions for NEW receiver

This forum is for the discussion of music related hardware. This includes turntables, amplifiers, mixers, speakers and any other music related accessories.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by mackdaddyg » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:13 pm

I've tried getting a used receiver on and off for the past year or so with bad results.

Thus, I'm getting the hint that I should just get one brand new from Amazon or someplace like that.

Can any of you fine folks recommend a new receiver? I'm hoping to keep it in the $100 to $200 range (preferably on the lower end).

The only company I won't consider is Sony. My cd player is a Sony, and 25% of the time (on a good day) it won't read a cd the first time I try to play it. Sometimes it takes three or four tries to get it to work. Also, the receiver I'm replacing with the annoying hum is a Sony.

Aside from that, I'm open to any suggestions.

Thank you.

Fifty-Fifty
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Suggestions for NEW receiver

Post by Fifty-Fifty » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:56 pm

Three possibilities:
Onkyo TX-8020
Yamaha R-S201BL
Sherwood 4109

The Sherwood lacks a phono input. Not sure about the other two. So you might have to get a phono preamp from www.phonopreamps.com. But you should be able to stay within your budget, even so.

i'd also consider replacing that CD player. It's not going to get any better. Any inexpensive DVD player will be just as good.

j_loop
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by j_loop » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:24 pm

I went to Crutchfield.com to check some out, only one to add to 50's list Onkyo TX-8255, which gets pretty positive reviews over there. It is the antithesis of "on the lower end," however, but it may be cheaper somewhere else.

RidinTheWind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by RidinTheWind » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:14 pm

Getting somewhat off topic, from the Sony CD player I have, the problem could be an over sensitivity to any variations in voltage.

It was plugged into a surge protector with other equipment and everything would be turned on by the switch on the protector. After some investigating, it turned out that there was a half to one volt spike in voltage from using the on/off switch. This caused big problems playing CD's. Stopping the use of the on/off switch fixed the problem. Though I replaced it with a better player, it plays perfectly up in the bedroom system.
Anyone who thinks he has a foolproof plan hasn't counted on the ingenuity of fools.

KentT
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by KentT » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:47 pm

New decent receivers with good phono will cost you minimum $500 upwards unless you look for a last year's model.

Rick-TV!
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Rick-TV! » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:48 pm

In your price range, unless you look real hard or accept a refurb (not always a bad thing), you're gonna be relegated to Insignia, Teac and Sherwood. (Amazon says the Sherwood does have phono and a picture of the back proves it does.)

Fifty-Fifty
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Fifty-Fifty » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:46 am

(Amazon says the Sherwood does have phono and a picture of the back proves it does.)
That'll teach me to work from memory. I think there's a 4105 that lacks a phono input.

Of the ones I mentioned above, the Onkyo also has a phono input; the Yamaha doesn't. And none of these is a bad choice for a basic system.

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by mackdaddyg » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:11 pm

Hello all.

Thank you for the replies. I apologize for the delay, but I've been offline for a few days.

Fifty Fifty & j loop:

Thanks for the suggestions and information. I'll check 'em out. Definitely need a phono input!!!

Kent & Rick:

Y'all may very well be right. I threw that amount out there without really doing any research. Then again, it's been many many years since I've purchased a new receiver, so I'm obviously behind the times. If I gotta pay a bit more, so be it. I just hope to get what I pay for. Thanks for the input.

RidinTheWind:

I'll keep your info in mind. I do have all the stereo equipment plugged into one surge protector, so that could be the problem (although I turn everything on and off individually and always leave the surge protector on). The way everything is set up, it's too much of a hassle to try and plug the cd player in separately. Plus, the last cd player I had (which was a Toshiba) never had that problem and lasted me close to 20 years. The fact that a two or three year old Sony player started acting up very soon after I purchased it irks me to no end.

Thus, no more Sony for me. But I do appreciate your advice.

Thank you all. Hopefully things will settle down in a couple of weeks and I can start researching what receiver to buy.

Return to “Hardware and Accessories Questions”