New Gimmicks

This forum is for the discussion of music related hardware. This includes turntables, amplifiers, mixers, speakers and any other music related accessories.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

RidinTheWind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

New Gimmicks

Post by RidinTheWind » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:15 pm

Audiophile power cords and fuses? :roll:

Now, I've seen everything! http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showth ... p?t=574208
Anyone who thinks he has a foolproof plan hasn't counted on the ingenuity of fools.

CactusCowboy
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

RE: New Gimmicks

Post by CactusCowboy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:53 pm

There's a sucker born every minute. The laws of physics and common sense often do not apply to "high end" audio gear.

ChadFromCanada
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: New Gimmicks

Post by ChadFromCanada » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:46 pm

I've heard of power conditioners but I assume that would be doing most of the work when it comes down to it. How good/bad can a power cord really be?
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

CactusCowboy
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Re: RE: New Gimmicks

Post by CactusCowboy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:04 pm

ChadFromCanada wrote:I've heard of power conditioners but I assume that would be doing most of the work when it comes down to it. How good/bad can a power cord really be?
I have whole-house surge protectors installed. One outside and one inside. That's pretty much all one needs IMO. I also have a battery backup in my studio. So I'm protected from lightning strikes, power surges and temporary outages.

If you want to see a flame war of epic proportion, go onto any "audiophile" forum and post an opinion that hardware store lamp cord is just the same as those megabuck$$$$$ "audiophile power cords & speaker wires. :D

CaptainVague
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by CaptainVague » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:52 pm

The junkie who breaks in then steals all your copper cords and leaves the Beatles LP's behind. 8O
"In the 60's it was rock & roll, by the 70's they dropped the roll and called it rock, in the 80's MTV came along and it was more like professional wrestling." Tom Petty

wurlitzer1450
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by wurlitzer1450 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:20 pm

no one dares break in where dave and i live, we all have many loaded guns
near the little town of nervous, new mexico

j_loop
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by j_loop » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:32 pm

I too think there is credence to power conditioners. My stereo is upstairs, and when you plug in and use a vacuum at certain outlets downstairs there is an audible high pitch tone through the speakers. I believe it is a conditioner that would alleviate this and not a different power cord, but I could be mistaken. What I'm referring to as a "conditioner" is something like a beefy surge protector/power strip and not something for the whole house so I may be using that term incorrectly.

ChadFromCanada
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by ChadFromCanada » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:38 pm

j_loop wrote:What I'm referring to as a "conditioner" is something like a beefy surge protector/power strip and not something for the whole house so I may be using that term incorrectly.
My dad has one that basically looks like a stereo component that would sit on the shelf, and mine is sort of just a larger, thicker power bar with the conditioning capability.
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

vinowino
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by vinowino » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:18 am

I was invited into a house just this weekend by a guy wanted to show me his setup.
A lot of good gear. He asked me if I had a UPS or Line Conditioner. I said "Whats that"
He explained that even under normal conditions a house's electricity supply is not constant and the UPS will sure make the equipment gets a constant even supply. :?
I have not yet noticed after many years that I need one.
When back home I checked them out on the internet and over here they start at $850.
I reckon I could buy a lot of records for that. :)
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans. John Lennon.

CactusCowboy
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by CactusCowboy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:12 pm

vinowino wrote:I was invited into a house just this weekend by a guy wanted to show me his setup.
A lot of good gear. He asked me if I had a UPS or Line Conditioner. I said "Whats that"
He explained that even under normal conditions a house's electricity supply is not constant and the UPS will sure make the equipment gets a constant even supply. :?
I have not yet noticed after many years that I need one.
When back home I checked them out on the internet and over here they start at $850.
I reckon I could buy a lot of records for that. :)
My local computer store carries UPS ranging from smaller to larger. The larger the unit, the more battery reserve and extended power supply during a power outage. I purchased the largest unit for my home studio and IIRC, cost was about $300 USD.

Return to “Hardware and Accessories Questions”