New Gimmicks

This forum is for the discussion of music related hardware. This includes turntables, amplifiers, mixers, speakers and any other music related accessories.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

vinowino
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by vinowino » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:53 pm

My next ? is, does that mean that if one was playing records and the power went out, that this would cause damage to components? and this device will prevent that?
That would throw a different light on matters.
Life is what happens to you while you are busy making other plans. John Lennon.

Graeme
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Graeme » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:53 pm

does that mean that if one was playing records and the power went out, that this would cause damage to components?
Highly unlikely. Where a UPS comes into real use is to protect sensitive electronic kit, such as computers, satellite receivers and the like. Also, they're useful in a studio environment, as it means that you don't lose whatever had been recorded up to the point of power failure, as it allows you time to save a file and shut stuff down properly.

If the mains supply is flaky (as it is here) and subject to short brown or blackouts, it will keep things running normally during these little interruptions. I have a UPS on my location recording rig, for just this reason. At least I can save the recording, although the band usually stops because amplified or electronic instruments stop anyway.

Fifty-Fifty
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Fifty-Fifty » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:25 am

If you need a power conditioner, you need one for more than just your audio system. I'd say if your computer is working just fine, it's most unlikely that you need a conditioner for anything else. (A UPC is another matter. If you need to keep running through a blackout or brownout, get one. But again, get your computer on it first.) Yes, power can be variable, but any decently designed electronics gear will be able to handle normal variations. If yours doesn't, then it's poorly designed, and the right solution is to replace it.

Finally, never buy anything like this that is marketed to audiophiles. Even if it works (which is questionable), you will be paying too much for it. There will be something more appropriate on the market at a more reasonable price.

Return to “Hardware and Accessories Questions”