Player Record Arm set up question

This forum is for the discussion of music related hardware. This includes turntables, amplifiers, mixers, speakers and any other music related accessories.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

philiprollett
Level 2
Level 2

Player Record Arm set up question

Post by philiprollett » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:29 pm

Hello everyone.. I've recently purchased the Debut Carbon and its a great record player.. However I have a slight question about the arm set up.. when you add the weight and balance the arm, how important is it to have it balanced out 100% correctly? I believe I have done so. How would i tell if the needle is coming down to hard and fitting into the grove to hard on the record and would it damage it?

thanks

vinyl1
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

RE: Player Record Arm set up question

Post by vinyl1 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:07 pm

You need proper setup tools. You can buy a digital tracking force gauge online for a small amount compared to the cost of the turntable and cartridge.

You should set the tracking force in the middle of the cartridge manufacturer's recommended range.

philiprollett
Level 2
Level 2

Post by philiprollett » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:07 pm

Thanks, I don't have much money atm, do you think this would do a good job?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Trackin ... orce+gauge

j_loop
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by j_loop » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:51 pm

That looks identical to the one I use and it works great. I didn't pay anywhere near that much though. It's been years so I can't remember if it was on eBay or just an online retailer, but I do remember it came straight from China and was very cheap. I think under $10 including shipping so you may want to search around for a better price. Basically try to find the same thing that isn't branded as an LP tracking force gauge, but just a generic digital scale.

Graeme
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Graeme » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:56 am

eBay has a load of scales that would do the job - http://www.ebay.com/sch/Pocket-Digital- ... 827/i.html - shouldn't cost you more than $10

philiprollett
Level 2
Level 2

Post by philiprollett » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:42 pm

Has anyone ever used none digital ones like this for example http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ortofon-Stylu ... 25879db59a

do these work well?

Graeme
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by Graeme » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:37 pm

I used a mechanical Shure gauge for years. Mechanical gauges work reasonably well, but modern digital ones are far less fiddly.

Return to “Hardware and Accessories Questions”