Technics SL-B3?

This forum is for the discussion of music related hardware. This includes turntables, amplifiers, mixers, speakers and any other music related accessories.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

shoggoth80
Level 5
Level 5

Technics SL-B3?

Post by shoggoth80 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:47 pm

Hey all. Cross post from Audio Karma.
So, I ran across a deal. Have a meeting set up. Am getting the itch to get another table, and Technics are well regarded. I also know that there are overhang tools available for them still.

This table is advertised as working, but does not come with cart or headshell. That isn't a big deal, as I have these (I even have a Technics branded one). The ad says the hinges are non functioning/broken... but it looks like the part of the dust cover that slides into the hinges is snapped off (ie: hinges work, but nothing to slide into them).

I have not owned a Technics table. Kinda want to try them. I know this is an entry level model, and belt drive... but it's cheap. Like $25 cheap. Kinda hard to not jump on it at that price.

Thoughts? ?
MCS 6600+Stanton 600, Yamaha Natural Sound K30, Technics SL-P117 , KLH 23s, Hitachi SR-604. Good Times!

CactusCowboy
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

RE: Technics SL-B3?

Post by CactusCowboy » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:30 pm

The broken dustcover hinge is not that big of a deal. I've had a couple of Technics belt drives, SL-23 models. The SL-23 is electronic speed control. I had to spray contact cleaner into the fine-speed-adjust pots to correct erratic operation. Other than that, no repairs other than a new belt needed. Overall a well designed and built turntable. Very accurate speed control, and no audible wow/flutter or rumble.

I'm not familiar with the model you're looking at, but based on my experience, I don't think you'd go wrong with the purchase.

shoggoth80
Level 5
Level 5

RE: Technics SL-B3?

Post by shoggoth80 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:30 am

I picked it up. The auto functions don't work... but I don't care so much about them. I might fiddle and try to get those working... but I am more of a manual cue person. It holds speed nicely, and gets up to speed quick. It's quiet, and understated. It's missing a couple cosmetic pieces, which are inconsequential. Probably gonna get a resonance cap for the rear of the tonearm (at some point there was an aux. weight used), and if I can find it, the black cap from the tonearm pivot area is missing. Nothing which really affects playback, but would be nice to dress it back up, fix the hinges, and polish the cover. Might even go so far as to paint the plinth/base...but unsure as I have never torn a table down that far before. Might just play it and enjoy it. For $25, I think I got an ok deal on a secondary table. Suggestions on a cart for it? Arm is 12g, and can take a number of carts. I have Shure, Stanton, AT. Got a Grado sans stylus, which I am highly considering getting a stylus for, or maybe just getting a Green1? No hum on this table according to Grado Hum database. Suggestions? Probably keeping the cart under $100-150 if I got a new one.
MCS 6600+Stanton 600, Yamaha Natural Sound K30, Technics SL-P117 , KLH 23s, Hitachi SR-604. Good Times!

Return to “Hardware and Accessories Questions”