Clash Dance Tracks

This forum is specifically dedicated to the category of Punk/New Wave. You may discuss any and all aspects of this genre of music. Please no buying sell selling of items at this board.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

TheMastermind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Clash Dance Tracks

Post by TheMastermind » Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:13 pm

The Clash were pretty visionary with their thumping dance twelve-inches like 'Radio Clash' and 'Magnificent Seven' making them sort of god-fathers of the indie baggy dance scene of the next decade. Hell, Strummer wasn't above rapping and pulled it off better than Debbie Harry.

Do the punk fans around here chase that stuff or do you turn your nose up at it as the impure product of sad sell-outs in decline?

Me, I f***ing love it.

DaveyTheWaxMan
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

RE: Clash Dance Tracks

Post by DaveyTheWaxMan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:36 pm

Man, I had a 12" ---- what was it now?? I think it was "Radio CLash," or "Capitol Radio"....put it in a bulk lot trade to a Guilder years ago--don't know if she really liked it--wish I had it to throw to you!
"If you're hair's red, the roots ain't dead...don't cut it, CONK it!!"
Wynonie "Mr. Blues" Harris

chickenlips
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Clash Dance Tracks

Post by chickenlips » Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:33 pm

Love it also, back in the day, everything was pretty narrow minded - you were a punk, a rocker, disco-kid, etc.. the Clash were one of the bands that opened up my eyes (and ears), listening to them doing stuff like 'police & thieves' got me buying the original and getting into some reggae stuff, likewise with dance/rap 'Radio Clash' & 'Magnificent Seven', hell, i would say they even dabbled in pop with tracks like 'Lost in the Supermarket'

One of the main bands that changed my life & views - music that brought people together no matter race, colour or creed - Rock Against Racism :)
`Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, "Listen, mate, *life* has surface noise." `.... John Peel, still sadly missed

CactusCowboy
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Re: Clash Dance Tracks

Post by CactusCowboy » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:14 pm

TheMastermind wrote:The Clash were pretty visionary with their thumping dance twelve-inches like 'Radio Clash' and 'Magnificent Seven' making them sort of god-fathers of the indie baggy dance scene of the next decade. Hell, Strummer wasn't above rapping and pulled it off better than Debbie Harry.

Do the punk fans around here chase that stuff or do you turn your nose up at it as the impure product of sad sell-outs in decline?

Me, I f***ing love it.
I have a decent collection of Clash LPs & singles. I prefer their straight ahead Punk. I wouldn't go so far as to label the later stuff the result of "sad sell-outs" but it doesn't excite me as much. If I want to hear Dance/Pop records I'd rather listen to Madonna.

TheMastermind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: Re: Clash Dance Tracks

Post by TheMastermind » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:22 am

I don't think their dance tracks were attempts at creating the kind of pop dance Madonna later created. I'd say they were more coming from an Afrika Bambaata underground club direction. I gather they were successful with that, as 'Magnificent Seven' made the playlist on black radio stations at the time.

Return to “Punk/New Wave”