Your first punk band

This forum is specifically dedicated to the category of Punk/New Wave. You may discuss any and all aspects of this genre of music. Please no buying sell selling of items at this board.

Moderator: Guild Moderators

Knownrider
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Knownrider » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:27 pm

Handsome Dick has his own bar on Avenue A where he often serves drinks and dispenses legendary stories from yesteryear.

LPMAN
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by LPMAN » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:30 pm

Knownrider wrote:Handsome Dick has his own bar on Avenue A where he often serves drinks and dispenses legendary stories from yesteryear.
Indeed, he is interviewed in it for that Don Letts Punk doc.

TJLitt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by TJLitt » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:51 am

That documentary was great....just watched it a week or two back on IFC,
I think(I think it was IFC, I am over the "I think I saw it" stuff, I swear!). A few oversights(X never happened?), but you will always have those. Overall, a nice feel to the whole flow through what became punk.

LPMAN
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by LPMAN » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:53 am

Yeah it was fantastic.

My only complaint is that he left out some really key bands.

chazg66
Level 3
Level 3

Post by chazg66 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:09 pm

X was my first punk band... I saw then do "Blue Spark" on some mid 80s after-school video show here in Dallas. Then a friend turned me onto More Fun In the New World, still a fave...
Chaz

KFA
Level 5
Level 5

Post by KFA » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:19 pm

I was dubbed a "mini-core" back in Virginia, we desperately tried to infultrate the HCRVA scene. I actually heard someone playing Never Mind the Bollocks on their walkman back in '81. I joined Columbia House later that year and ordered a bunch of Billy Joel, and The Sex Pistols. I wore it out, tried to dye my hair, searched desperately for a monikor, quit trying to play drums like neil peart and tried to sound like Steve Schick (of a local band: Honor Roll). My first hardcore band was probably Death Piggy ( Later Gwar) They were great live and inspired all of us to be as loud, silly and sick as possible. My first band was SIO (used to mean Statements in Opposition, later it was Seemingly Incredible Orgasms, Sexually Incompetent Orphans. you get the idea)
Ahh, memories.... Thanks for this thread!!!
Vino Vinyl Veritas!

plasticman
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by plasticman » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:57 pm

I was first introduced to punk back in the spring of 1983 by a few older guys in the neighborhood.The first punk L.P. I ever bought was a compilation on Go records called Rat Music For Rat People it had tracks by Black Flag,Dead Kennedys,Circle Jerks,DOA etc... I sold that record sometime in my late teens to a used record store,and was thrilled when after purchasing a rather large Punk/Hardcore collection from an old friend found my copy! (I use to write my name on jackets) I will never let it go again it is in a big way responsible for part of who I am today.

mycubiclerocks
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by mycubiclerocks » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:58 am

The Stooges "Self Titled" for suuuuuure. I got that back in ohhh well a few years after it was released mabye 75? I don't know, that was the album that started it for me. That and then the 2 Dolls albums. Those were fantastic. I never really dug the Ramones much, I was into the Velvet Underground back then, yeah I really liked the Velvets.
LET THERE BE DOOM!!!

Manimal
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Manimal » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:39 am

I have the Rat Music LP Plastic, it has some great stuff on it.
I didn't want to book the Germs at first.They can't play
their instruments; they just throw food all over. They would
do an excruciating version of "Sugar Sugar" by the Archies and pour sugar all over the audience.

plasticman
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by plasticman » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:21 pm

KFA wrote:I was dubbed a "mini-core" back in Virginia, we desperately tried to infultrate the HCRVA scene. I actually heard someone playing Never Mind the Bollocks on their walkman back in '81. I joined Columbia House later that year and ordered a bunch of Billy Joel, and The Sex Pistols. I wore it out, tried to dye my hair, searched desperately for a monikor, quit trying to play drums like neil peart and tried to sound like Steve Schick (of a local band: Honor Roll). My first hardcore band was probably Death Piggy ( Later Gwar) They were great live and inspired all of us to be as loud, silly and sick as possible. My first band was SIO (used to mean Statements in Opposition, later it was Seemingly Incredible Orgasms, Sexually Incompetent Orphans. you get the idea)
Ahh, memories.... Thanks for this thread!!!
You from Richmond? Honor Role use to play here a lot (Roanoke) back then & a friends brother was in Death Piggy. I was singer in Vis A Vis & Big Wig late 80 -early 90's here in Roanoke. I still venture to Richmond & DC for shows & record hunting.

Return to “Punk/New Wave”