What is your favorite format?

Polls are great tools for measuring whats important to our fellow collectors. (You must be a member to vote or create a poll)

Moderator: Guild Moderators

WHAT'S YOUR FAV FORMAT?

78's
2%
LP's/33's
61%
12"
3%
10"
3%
7"/45's
31%

Total votes: 59

vinyl collector
Level 2
Level 2

Re: What is your favorite format?

Post by vinyl collector » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:02 am

B_big. wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:29 pm
vinyl collector wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:14 pm
When I play "discs" I mostly play 12" LP albums. 12" maxi singles has mostly better sound quality. 12" half mastered LP albums eg. from MFSL are really good. But mostly I stream FLAC files from my computer via a Benchmark DAC1 (digital analog converter) to my Onkyo A-809 and Dali Concept 10.
I prefer vinyl converted to FLAC in 24 bit 96 kHz or 24 bit 192 kHz. I do NOT play MP3. :lol:
( ( ( ( ( ((((((( ..Image

• Isn't your nickname 'Vinyl Collector'? So, if you already have the vinyl recording and you must have the equipment, to play them, at least once, for transferring, why the hell do you do this?
    Don't get me wrong, I don't want to offend you, but I ask myself, what is the reason to make such an effort. On the other hand you can easily put on a record on your turntable and enjoy the music. . Image
    • By the way, here are my fave vinyl formats in order of appearance: 10", double 7", 12" recordings. . Image
Well. I suppose the question is... what is your favorite format to PLAY?

OR... is it - what is your favorite format to collect?

OR... is it - what is your favorite format to BUY? :)

To collect... yes, my favorite format to collect is VINYL - 12" albums. And also 12" maxi singles, 7" singeles and EPs. No doubt! I have never been a CD collector. I also collect some old Elvis Presley 78 rpm discs.

To play - yes my favorite format is to stream the music from the computer. I'm a bit lazy so I prefer don't lift my ass from the chair or the sofa to often. Or when I'm sitting and working or surfing at my desktop computers.

To buy... today century 2000? I don't buy CDs. I only buy vinyl discs. But to be honest, the most music I listen to today is downloaded, downloaded in FLAC format - 24 bit 192 kHz or 24 bit 96 kHz. But I can also accept FLAC 16/44.1.
In my opinion the vinyl discs are not of the same high quality today year 2018 as they were at the 60s and 70s. For exampel, the MFSL half speed mastered releases was OUTSTANDING! Check out The Beatles at MFSL!

Never heard about the famous Swedish guys Peter Sunde, Fredrik Neij and Gottfrid Svartholm who run The Pirate Bay or Daniel Ek and Martin Lorentzon who run Spotify I suppose these guys has changed the listeners "type" of listening.

Btw, I have 12.000+ 12" albums in my collection.

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by B_big. » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:25 pm

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( ..Image

• Firstly, thanx for the elaborate response, it's appreciated. By the way, to lift our asses off the couch every now and then isn't the worst we can do, in terms of physical condition! . Image

If we talk about quality of sound, this is limited by the quality of your equipment. In any case, no matter if we talk about vinyl recordings, compact discs or whatever. In my humble opinion is the most important part of equipment, if it comes to play vinyl recordings, the cartridge, the tonearm of your turntable and the speakers. In some cases it might be true, that the quality of vinyl record pressing has decreased in wide parts of the mainstream market. But, and there is a big BUT, it also depends on how much you are willing to spend on a single vinyl album.

I haven't bought a "Master Recording" album by MFSL in years, but the few I still own do sound terribly good. The peak of nowadays record production and vinyl pressing can still be found in Japan. Even their ordinary recordings do sound much better than the ordinary European or American counterparts! Most of the collectors agree on this, but refuse to spend the appropriate price for these little gems.
    Since I discovered the jazz genre, thank you Mart (R.I.P.) and 'Rooster', I experienced the cream of quality of sound from vinyl recordings. Again the Japanese did it, it's the rather small and unfamiliar "Venus" label, the describe their productions as "Hyper Magnum Sound". Their releases are doubtlessly the top of what's possible in terms of quality of sound on vinyl nowadays. Sure, they are rather pricey, but they are worth every single cent of it. The only crux with these releases is the fact, that they are hard to get sometimes. I mainly imported them straight from Japan, since the only reliable dealer, that I previously used (Hong Kong), doesn't offer all of them reliable any longer. A few months ago I discovered an American on-line store, that is selling these too, in any case you have to calculate increased shipping costs.

I stop right here, because I don't want to bore you to death! Keep on looking for vinyl recordings, no matter how you will enjoy them in the end. We shouldn't forget, it's all in the music, no matter in which format you eventually prefer to play it! There is no wrong or right valid for all of the different music enthusiasts.. Image
. Image
https://www.vinylrotation.org/
the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

RidinTheWind
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by RidinTheWind » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:45 pm

Definitely 45's!

Most albums have only one or two good tracks, the rest being filler. This makes them on the par with 45's except that they take up more space! Also, some singles have a good song on the B-side that was never put on an album.
Anyone who thinks he has a foolproof plan hasn't counted on the ingenuity of fools.

The Curator
Level 2
Level 2

Post by The Curator » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:35 pm

Another vote for LPs here. You get to go on a journey (and the beauty of vinyl is that unlike the superficial convenience of downloading it encourages you to go the whole distance, not just edited highlights).

I do think that the CD era has affected the strength of material on "albums" since in taking advantage of that format's capacity it has caused artists to release longer albums / more tracks, and quality has suffered. I'm referring to the standard version of a release here, not any deluxe / extended editions.

Compare albums by artists who've spanned 70s to this century and they're often having to add 25% to the length of the album now, which I think makes it a taller order to make a consistently great album nowadays.

Return to “Polls”