Caustic Window 12" or a car?

This forum contains discussions about prices of records sold on eBay. <B>Please, no buying or selling; announcements of auctions or the advertising of sites at this forum</B>, other than links to ended eBay listings.
Head Gardener
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Caustic Window 12" or a car?

Post by Head Gardener » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:17 am

SOLD! for $46,300.00
12" Test Pressing

StephenMacLeod
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Re: Caustic Window 12" or a car?

Post by StephenMacLeod » Tue Jun 24, 2014 11:34 am

Head Gardener wrote:Image

SOLD! for $46,300.00
12" Test Pressing
Shane I saw that and went what the F.What was so special,anybody know.

AudioGasoline
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by AudioGasoline » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:33 pm

Rarity + Desirability + Mass Hysteria? But it is a holy grail of electronic music. This is one of his early albums, under an early pen name, that was never released. He got pretty famous by the end of the 90s and this "lost album" has been a white whale for fans. The price is insane, rumor is that the seller got it for under $10K (which is crazy enough already).

Richard D. James (aka Aphex Twin, aka Caustic Window, aka AFX and a dozen other names) was a pivotal figure in 90's electronic music. He's known for deconstructing and re-engineering synths, keyboards, sequencers, and other equipment to get new sounds out of them. When other e-musicians were doing mostly rock-centric (industrial) or dance-centric (techno) music, he was arranging novel compositions that played more like orchestrations than traditional songs. He and others on his Rephlex label added a new branch to the tree of electronic music, and by the end of the 90s the style was pretty flushed out and widely used - for instance, The Fight Club Soundtrack by The Dust Brothers in '99 jumps out at me as a clear prodigy of this earlier Rephlex sound, and was well-received by the mainstream. James also came from DJ culture, and his sound influenced the early stages of movements like Trip Hop and Downtempo. He really is quite a pioneer in modern electronic music. There's no accounting for price tags like this (IMHO), but this unreleased album definitely holds a lot of meaning to a lot of people.

Head Gardener
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Head Gardener » Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:56 pm

I'd still rather have the car :lol:

j_loop
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by j_loop » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:20 pm

I couldn't find the listing for this on ebay.com or ebay.co.uk. Where was this sold? Buyer with one feedback too.

AudioGasoline
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by AudioGasoline » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:48 pm

Head Gardener wrote:I'd still rather have the car :lol:
ditto :D
j_loop wrote:I couldn't find the listing for this on ebay.com or ebay.co.uk. Where was this sold?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNRELEASED-APHE ... 43cb1fb642

Hear it here (more dancey in my opinion than much of his Aphex Twin material): http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL05Y ... YJpS8#t=49

Head Gardener
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by Head Gardener » Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:26 pm

the guy who bought it could certainly afford it!

http://www.factmag.com/2014/06/24/aphex ... tor-notch/

j_loop
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by j_loop » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:48 pm

Thanks AG, funny that it wasn't in the completed listings when i checked yesterday. I guess there's a delay or some-such...

And to date I still have never played Minecraft or Angrybirds. When I first got a smartphone I got a game from my youth, but got fed up with the controls and haven't played it since soon after first buying it.

p.s.: I wonder what his max bid was?

Return to “Record Prices on eBay”