Why don't they just put the money in a fire

This forum contains discussions about prices of records sold on eBay. <B>Please, no buying or selling; announcements of auctions or the advertising of sites at this forum</B>, other than links to ended eBay listings.
recordfan
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Why don't they just put the money in a fire

Post by recordfan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:00 am

I can't believe this. This poor minus looking record is at $200 right now. What ever happened to condition, condition, condition?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120876562218

And the same person had another one in a little better shape that went a week ago for nearly $400.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110835609711

So, how much do you think my VG++ copy would go for??? see mine below
Attachments
EKO.jpg
EKO.jpg (34.95 KiB) Viewed 473 times

hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Re: Why don't they just put the money in a fire

Post by hrtshpdbox » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:24 am

recordfan wrote: So, how much do you think my VG++ copy would go for???
622 dollars?

Heidler
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Why don't they...

Post by Heidler » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:52 am

Hello Guild members...

If I may add my $600 worth...

PLEASE be very CAREFUL while buying ANY records on this EKO label(s)

Copies of this example have been heavily " booted " as well as " Jungle Rock " as by Hank Mizell EKO 1140 ( on this label before it went to King, then Charley )

Most original-issue copies had the label EKO logo " shawdowed " and this too has been duplicated ( the example shown does not have this effect, but none-the-less )

Many of these EKO label records are " booted " in Europe where the governing of such recordings is much more lax.
In the U.K. they can re-press ALMOST any US indie-label recordings as long as they are over 50 years old, and EKO is one of them that have made their way back here.

I know first-hand, while on a visit to the U.K. I went to a very legal pressing plant, and they were pressing many of these types ( again, legally )

Bim Bam Records in England sell many " booted " labels ( legally ) including EKO for about $10 each, and I must say, they ain't bad looking examples!

Be CAREFUL, especially on the EVIL ebay.

Good luck and good hunting.

H
The best part of the day...is the night...

recordfan
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by recordfan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 pm

Besides the Stewart, I do have a nice copy of "Jungle Rock". Both are RCA custom pressings with the numbers "MACHINE STAMPED" in the dead wax. I also got both mine in the early 90s which would make it this before the 50 year rule. My "Jungle Rock" is one of those that says Jim Bobo, but has a sticker removal stain where the Hank Mizell sticker was.

Heidler
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Why don't they

Post by Heidler » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:07 pm

Hi recordfan

Of course I wasn't implying that EVERY EKO copy is / was bogus, and you're spot on, RCA did most of the pressing for the Gene Parson-owned Chicago-based label.

I'm sure your copy(s) are the genuine article(s) and I didn't mean to infer they weren't.

Then again, there are still the EVILS that through not knowing what they are trying to flog, or knowing, but still trying it on, that have the mentioned bogus copies.

Thanks.

H
The best part of the day...is the night...

wurlitzer1450
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

RE: Why don

Post by wurlitzer1450 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:13 pm

it would be interesting to get neals opinion on this, lower grade RAB 45s seem to be selling for what recordfan thinks are seemingly high prices and i agree with him. could it be because everything from ray coniff to plain country 45s get labeled RAB by unknowing sellers? when i have time i check popsike, ect for 45s that have sold for 500 dollars or more that i don't have and am not familiar with. from my standpoint it's difficult to understand how some of these 45s that get labeled RAB bring so much money. am i missing something here? lps seem to be headed the other way, it's tough to sell even 50s R&R lps for much unless they're higher grade [vg+ or better].
near the little town of nervous, new mexico

Return to “Record Prices on eBay”