country western autographs

Display pictures of interesting, unique and rare vinyl record-related items, that do not meet the criteria for inclusion in the other galleries. As a courtesy, provide as much information about your items as possible. <B>Please</B>, no buying or selling of items here.
Ernie11
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

country western autographs

Post by Ernie11 » Sat May 12, 2012 11:36 am

This is a bit off-topic, but I wasn't sure where I could post this. Last Saturday at a flea market, I found a girl's autograph book. Usually these books have signatures of friends or high school classmates, but as I casually glanced thru it, I was seeing names that rang as more familiar. Turns out many of the signatures were of country western stars or not-so-stars. The autograph book is from Philadelphia and dates from the time (late 1940's) when the Hayloft Hoedown was broadcast by radio, and many of the autographs are names I have seen listed as appearing on this show during that time:

Hoosier Hotshots (Hezzie, Allen, Gil and Gabe)
Monty Rosci, Pancake Pete Newman, Pee Wee Miller, Sophie Murray, all from the local Sleepy Hollow Ranch Gang
Jack Day
Jimmy Wakely
Boyd Stockman
Ray Whitley
Hank Harrigan
Jesse Rogers
Rusty Keefer
Roy Wiggins
Hawkshaw Hawkins
Jiggs Lemley
and last and certainly not least, Eddy Arnold, who must've only been about 30 at this time.

So this was a neat find, and it made me do some research on this era in Philadelphia broadcasting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CTcollector
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by CTcollector » Sat May 12, 2012 4:04 pm

Definitely a most unique find. I know (knew) several guys who were country music disc-jockeys and/or performers during this period, and only two of them had any sort of collection like this. A great piece of old-time country history. Congratulations!

Return to “Record-Related Items Gallery”