Gems out of the 7" cabinet

Share some of your favorite songs here and why you're recommending them to others.
B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

The 2rd Cure 7" single - England 1979

Post by B_big. » Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:54 am

( ( ( ( ( ((((((( ..Image

• Here's their second 7" single (original first English release). It's about a silly lie, which is told to little boys since generations and what makes them inapt to cope with their feelings proper. It also prevents them from developing social competence and living positive relationships.

• 'Boys Don't Cry' / 'Plastic Passion' The Cure . (UK Fiction ‎– FICS 002, 1979)

• . Image

. Image

. Image

. Image

This song describes the consequence of this completely crooked and wrong educational background men still have to suffer for the rest of their lifes. That's why it belongs to my favorite songs ever! To be honest, I cry sometimes and it eases my pain . . . . Image
    Here's the audio clip for you. . Image
. Image
https://www.vinylrotation.org/
the fine art of record cover & sleeve & more
berlin/germany/europe/planet earth/milky way/universe

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Re: Gems out of the 7" cabinet

Post by B_big. » Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:48 am

• I guess, I have the right to say, that I belong to the first fans of "The Cramps", bought this gem at the time of it's release . . . . Image

• ' Surfin’ Bird' / 'The Way I Walk' - The Cramps . (US Vengeance - 666, 1978) original 1st press orange back sleeve

• . Image

. Image

. Image

. Image

My favorite is the flip-side again, a amazing cover version of the 1958 Jack Scott's song. . Image
      Here's the audio clip . Image
. Image

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

English again, from 1978 . . .

Post by B_big. » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:19 pm

• Still working on the letter "C", found a very nice 7" single of an artist, that hasn't been featured too often. He's a genuine musician, who managed to write great songs and serves fantastic instrumental arrangements. It's hard to describe his musical style, maybe like this: firstly he's a rocker, with a heavy dash of folk, and social engagement in his lyrics.

• 'Amsterdam' / 'I Really Love You' - Kevin Coyne . (UK Virgin - VS 203, 1978)

• . Image

. Image

. Image

. Image

The song is also about the famous 'Vondelpark' in Amsterdam and tends more to his rock orientated song. . Image

Here's an audio clip of this littel gem for you . . . . Image
. Image

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by B_big. » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:00 am

• . . . continued cataloging in the afternoon and stumbled across one more gem:

Biting cynical lyrics completed with rhythmic "killer" rock!

• 'Night People' / 'Thirty Six Hours' - John Cooper Clarke . (UK Epic - EPC A2521, 1982)

• . Image

. Image

. Image

. Image

By the way, I was more than once in a situations, were I would have given nearly anything, to grab at the moon . . . (see the cover), 'cause I have been more than thirty six hours in mysterious places . . . . Image
    Here's the audio clip (again it's the flip-side, I would vote for . . .), to make your own audible assessment: . Image
. Image

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

English "Cowboys" 1980

Post by B_big. » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:28 am

• Cataloging in the morning . . . here's one more little gem, heavily underrated in my humble opinion:

• 'Today Today' / 'Fixation' - Cowboys International . (UK Virgin - VS 326, 1980)

• . Image

. Image

. Image

. Image

It's excellent pop, with a dash of psych and rock, so unique and really fancy music. . Image
    Here's the audio clip for you (the A-side this time) . Image
. Image

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by B_big. » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:42 pm

• One more genuine gem out of the "C" fraction:

• 'Mercenaries (Ready For War)' / 'Rosegarden Funeral Of Sores' - John Cale . (US Spy - SPY 007, 1980)

• . Image

. Image

. Image

. Image

. Image

This song pictures so scary intense the emotional state of a certain kind of (macho-) men. It also is a exemplary evidence of the frightening habits these men are committed themselves and like to ask from others as well. To me this was always really strange and somewhat frightening. Mr. Cale delivers a really convincing version of this old-fashioned view of matters! . Image
    Here's the audio clip for you . Image
. Image

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

A 1978 cover of Chuck Berry's 'Nadine'

Post by B_big. » Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:18 am

• Here's an outstanding great cover version of one of my favorite Chuck Berry (R. I. P.) songs. This little gem belongs to the few cover versions, that are equal good as the original songs.

• 'Nadine' / 'You Can't' / 'Sweet Little 16' - The Cannibals . (UK Hit Records ‎– F-UK 2, 1978)

• . Image

. Image

. Image

. Image

This 3-track E.P. is a fantastic evidence for the fact, that real great and unique rock 'n' roll songs won't fade never ever! A "must have" for every fan of the music from the genuine "King of Rock 'n' Roll. . Image

Of course you can listen to an audio clip of this fantastic song. . Image
. Image

Steptoe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Steptoe » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:13 pm

Enjoyed that cover, never heard it before, nice placement of the musical note on the label to make it look like sh*t records, and the F-UK cat # , very punk 😀

Btw - enjoying your website B_big, currently on hols in France so I can’t upload anything to RCG just now, but it’s giving me some good sounds and some neat things to look at
My site on 45Worlds, trying to catalog those dodgy cassettes that used to appear everywhere. Mainly because I find them a bit interesting and a little time capsule before they went legal

http://www.45spaces.com/semilegal-70s-80s-cassettes

B_big.
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by B_big. » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:19 am

Steptoe wrote:
Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:13 pm
Enjoyed that cover, never heard it before, nice placement of the musical note on the label to make it look like sh*t records, and the F-UK cat # , very punk 😀

Btw - enjoying your website B_big, currently on hols in France so I can’t upload anything to RCG just now, but it’s giving me some good sounds and some neat things to look at

• Firstly thank you for your kind words about the content of my site, it's much appreciated. I haven't uploaded more new recordings recently because of maintaining my entire collection, especially the singles. These things are really time consuming, both, the website as well as the reorganization of my singles.

During the last few years (10 or so) I have added a lot of singles to the existing 7" collection and missed to organize the additions proper. They have been stored separate in cardboard archive boxes. Now, that I am working on them, cataloging, repacking and scanning for the archive, I determin what a treasure I have . . . . Image

The Cannibals' cover version of 'Nadine' is one of the older gems I own, I bought it way back at the time when it was released. During the maintaining of the singles cabinet I re-discovered what a cool record it is. Though the artwork looks a bit "punkish", it doesn't belong to this genre at all. The flipside is pure "R&B" and also worth a spin. . Image

I hope, you enjoyed your vacation in France.

Cheers
    Falk . Image
. Image

Steptoe
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Steptoe » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:30 pm

B_big. wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:19 am

The Cannibals' cover version of 'Nadine' is one of the older gems I own, I bought it way back at the time when it was released. During the maintaining of the singles cabinet I re-discovered what a cool record it is. Though the artwork looks a bit "punkish", it doesn't belong to this genre at all. The flipside is pure "R&B" and also worth a spin. . Image

I hope, you enjoyed your vacation in France.

Cheers
Falk . Image[/list]
It did remind me of the great Dr Feelgood cover of the track as well.

As I also enjoy football (and I’m Scottish), it’s been great to be in a country I like and watch them win the World Cup - it’s never gonna happen in my home country 😂

Cheers, Col
My site on 45Worlds, trying to catalog those dodgy cassettes that used to appear everywhere. Mainly because I find them a bit interesting and a little time capsule before they went legal

http://www.45spaces.com/semilegal-70s-80s-cassettes

Return to “Songs/Singles”