Neil Young Archives Vol. 1 (1963-1972)

Recommend your favorite must-hear albums here.
hrtshpdbox
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by hrtshpdbox » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:26 am

mycubiclerocks wrote:And JTTP, man that's a weird film. Some great footage and moments, but the storyline is far too much for some people to handle. The more I watch it the more I understand it (...I think) :lol:
One scene I clearly remember is Neil stopping his vintage car in the middle of a country path; he and Carrie get out and sit on the hood and silently pass a big joint for about ten minutes - the only sound is an occasional chirping bird. The 17-year-old me was thinking, "now this is cinema!".

DaveyTheWaxMan
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by DaveyTheWaxMan » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:39 am

Three Bills?
Worth every cent.
"If you're hair's red, the roots ain't dead...don't cut it, CONK it!!"
Wynonie "Mr. Blues" Harris

skeelaner
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by skeelaner » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:01 pm

You sold me on your review! Much better than the one Rolling Stone mag gave.
I'm a huge Neil fan & at some point I'll pony up the $$$.
www.MyVintageGeneration.com
Blog, Collectibles & Twitter updates

mycubiclerocks
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by mycubiclerocks » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:26 pm

hrtshpdbox wrote:
mycubiclerocks wrote:And JTTP, man that's a weird film. Some great footage and moments, but the storyline is far too much for some people to handle. The more I watch it the more I understand it (...I think) :lol:
One scene I clearly remember is Neil stopping his vintage car in the middle of a country path; he and Carrie get out and sit on the hood and silently pass a big joint for about ten minutes - the only sound is an occasional chirping bird. The 17-year-old me was thinking, "now this is cinema!".
One of my favorite pieces in the whole package is an outtake from JTTP, where Neil goes into a record shop late at night and finds a CSNY bootleg which he insists on raising hell over, and ends up walking away with it without paying. Needless to say there's a whole scene made of it, and it's probably a good 15mins worth of footage. It's hilarious! :lol:
LET THERE BE DOOM!!!

digvinyl
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by digvinyl » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:55 pm

I saw this in Best Buy last weekend, didn't even know it had been released. Looks super cool but all I can think of is how much great vinyl I can get for the money. :? The one I saw at Best Buy was $349.99, I believe. After looking at the price tag, I stopped looking at it!!

I was actually there to pick up the super deluxe release of Woodstock. More reasonably priced, to be sure! Can't wait to check that out.

mycubiclerocks
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by mycubiclerocks » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:53 pm

digvinyl wrote: I was actually there to pick up the super deluxe release of Woodstock. More reasonably priced, to be sure! Can't wait to check that out.
I really want to get that as well. :P
LET THERE BE DOOM!!!

OnTheRecord
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by OnTheRecord » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:36 pm

I am listening to a re-conditioned Isaac Hayes 8-track, “Chocolate Chip.”

The sound is phenomenal, and frankly, it is difficult to imagine the so-called “ultra-high resolution” Blu-Ray 24-bit / 192 kHz stereo PCM coming anywhere near the 3 ¾ IPS, analog, 1/32 inch-wide tracks of discreet Stereo, left and right channels, on 4 high fidelity programs.

I think Neil really missed the boat in not offering his Archive in the legacy 8-track media, spread over approximately 1,642 8-track cartridges (video could have been handled with 16mm sound film, with around 500 16mm film cans – that would be the large 20” variety, it goes without saying).

Thoughts?

Sillypsybin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Sillypsybin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:09 pm

Well, I for one thought that Neil made a HUGE mistake when he remixed and remastered his first solo record. I never bought any other Neil Young records after he did that.

Of course he went on to make millions, so what do I know?????

Really, I LOVE those earlier mixes.... wall of sound (hey I like muddy mixes, what can I say).... beautifully arranged and orchestrated....

Put THAT on the 8 track, and I'll buy it!!!!!

fromphilly1247
R.C.Guild-SMR
R.C.Guild-SMR

Post by fromphilly1247 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:47 pm

OnTheRecord wrote:I am listening to a re-conditioned Isaac Hayes 8-track, “Chocolate Chip.”

The sound is phenomenal, and frankly, it is difficult to imagine the so-called “ultra-high resolution” Blu-Ray 24-bit / 192 kHz stereo PCM coming anywhere near the 3 ¾ IPS, analog, 1/32 inch-wide tracks of discreet Stereo, left and right channels, on 4 high fidelity programs.

I think Neil really missed the boat in not offering his Archive in the legacy 8-track media, spread over approximately 1,642 8-track cartridges (video could have been handled with 16mm sound film, with around 500 16mm film cans – that would be the large 20” variety, it goes without saying).

Thoughts?
Would it also come with its own forklift to get it home? Reconditioned 8-tracks, huh? Let me ask you: how many of the tracks on that Isaac tape fade and continue on the next track? There were so many flaws with that medium it was unbelievable. I was always amazed that they sold as well as they did back in the 70's.
The rain keeps crawling down the glass
The good times never seem to last
Close your eyes and let the thought pass

My Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/markoneill1968

annaloog
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by annaloog » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:09 am

fromphilly1247 wrote:... There were so many flaws with that medium it was unbelievable. I was always amazed that they sold as well as they did back in the 70's.
Lotsa cars sold with 8-track players built-in.

Return to “Albums”