The G-Clefs US 45 RPM Discography

rooster
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

The G-Clefs US 45 RPM Discography

Post by rooster » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:04 am

THE G-CLEFS US 45 Discography

This group has no connection to "The Clefs", Clefftones (on Old Town), Cleftones (on Gee)or any other group of "Clefs".

The G-Clefs were from Boston, Massachusetts. The group was originally formed in 1952 as the Bob-O-Links, but never recorded under that name. The group was made up of Three brothers, their cousin (later on, the cousin drops out and a fourth brother joins) and their next door neighbor. They were persuaded to change their name to The G-Clefs by their mother.

Pilgrim 715
Ka-Ding Dong/Darla, My Darlin'; 1956
(In 1956, The G-Clefs met Jack Gold who was the A&R man for Pilgrim records based in Boston in addition to being an independent producer and he signed them to a personal contract and became their manager. He had them record a cover of the Rainbows' song, "Mary Lee". Gold was unable to release the song and so he has the group record these songs which he takes to Cecil Steen, owner of the Pilgrim label, who releases them. "Ka-Ding Dong" initially does well in a number of east coast cities and then broke nationally eventually becoming a #9 R&B hit and #24 on the Pop charts. Original copies were on a plain purple label with no graphics other than the typeface).

Pilgrim 720
'Cause You're Mine/Please Write While I'm Away; 1956
(The G-Clefs second release for the Pilgrim label got good reviews but didn't come up to the level of their first. Originals are on a newly designed red Pilgrim label with graphics of pilgrims.)

Paris 502
Symbol Of Love/Love Her In The Mornin'; 1956
(Their manager, Jack Gold decided to start his own label in December, 1956 and since The G-Clefs were under counteract to him, he takes them with him.)

Paris 506
Zing Zang Zoo/Is This The Way; 1957
(The group's second release for the Paris label went unheralded and the G-Clefs didn't record again for several years, but did continue to perform live.)

Terrace 7500
I Understand (Just How You Feel)/Little Girl I Love You; 1961
(After a four year layoff from recording the group gets back into contact with Jack Gold who was starting a new label, Terrace Records. This song had been previously recorded by The Four Tunes in 1953 and was a #6 hit in 1954. The difference in the G-Clefs version is that it is sung with "Auld Lyng Syne" in the background. It became a #9 Pop hit and was on the charts for sixteen weeks.)

Terrace 7503
(There Never Was A Dog Like) Lad/A Girl Has To Know; 1962
(The "A" side was from a 1962 film called "Lad: A Dog". The record made it to #81 on the Pop charts.)

Terrace 7507
They'll Call Me Away (This Is My Country)/Make Up Your Mind; `1962
(The Third single tried to recapture the success of "I Understand" by singing a second song in the background. The song went nowhere.)

Terrace 7510
Sitting In The Moonlight/A Lover's Prayer (All Through The Night); 1962

Terrace 7514
All My Trials/The Big Rain; 1963
(The last release on terrace likewise stiffed and the group changed managers, labels and their sound.)

Regina 1314
To The Winner Goes The Prize/I Believe In All I Feel; 1964
(Their new manager, Bob Walker, took the group to Regina label owner, Jack La Forge. They're now singing soul music, but still find no commercial success with this release)

Regina 1319
Nobody But Betty/Angel Listen To Me; 1964
(The second release also finds no buyers among the public.)

Veep 1218
I Have/On The Other Side Of Town; 1965
(With the previous two records going nowhere, The G-Clefs get back together with Jack Gold who is now at United Artists. He secures a contract with UA subsidiary, Veep.)

Veep 1226
This Time (I Know We're Gonna Make It)/On The Other Side Of Town; 1966
(The group's Veep releases go nowhere and by the time of this release they had already moved on.)

Loma 2034
Party '66/Little Lonely Boy; 1966

Loma 2048
I Can't Stand It/The Whirlwind; 1966
(The G-Clefs had signed with Warner Brothers' subsidiary, Loma. Their fortunes did not improve and their recording career ended, though they continued to perform into the 2000's.)

DITTO
503 I'll Remember All Your Kisses/Ka-Ding-Dong); 1970s
(This is NOT a reissue (perhaps a bootleg or at least a quasi-legal release). In 1953 (the label itself indicates that the songs were recorded in 1952), The G-Clefs had recorded demo versions of these two songs and they didn't see release until sometime in the 1970's. This record was reportedly pressed on blue vinyl.)
While the information he conveyed was interesting Rooster's communication skills need improvement. - Global_Dog_Productions

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: The G-Clefs US 45 RPM Discography

Post by mackdaddyg » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:39 pm

It's always a great thing to sign on here and see some new information.

I'm always intrigued when a Doo Wop group releases stuff later in the sixties. I checked out "I Can't Stand It" on YouTube......now I need to get that record. Great tune! Gonna try and listen to the other songs listed here sometime soon.

Thanks very much, Rooster. The posts are always enjoyable. (Side note....found "The Whirlwind" on YouTube.....now I REALLY need to get that record!!!!)

rooster
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by rooster » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:47 pm

Yeah, Mack, The G-Clefs did manage to keep recording into the 1960's partly because they were willing to change their sound (but not their name, apparently. As far as I know they never recorded under a different name.) I haven't looked but I'm sure you'll find all of the Doo Wop sides on Youtube. I don't know how well known the Soul songs are or if those would be readily available there. The G-clefs Soul period is generally unjustly overlooked. The Soul tracks were very well done, and they were released by major labels (albeit on their subsidiaries). Still, both Warner Bros. and United Artists had enough interest in them to hold sessions and release the results.

The Regina label release isn't quite full blown Soul. I think one can clearly see a transition going on from Doo Wop to Soul on the Regina and Veep sides. You've heard one of the Loma records, so you can see that by that time, they were in a Soul bag.

There are a few other groups that managed to continue into the Soul era. Off the top of my head, Doo Woppers, "The Valiants", evolved into the Psychedelic Soul group "Africa". That's another group you may want to check out on youtube.

rooster
While the information he conveyed was interesting Rooster's communication skills need improvement. - Global_Dog_Productions

Return to “45's”