The Calvaes US 45 Discography

rooster
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by rooster » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:23 pm

This Group was from the southside of Chicago and are NOT to be confused with the Los Angeles, California vocal group, "The Calvanes".

The group was formed in Chicago at DuSable High School. DuSable High School was the alma mater of many famous black entertainers (Dinah Washington, Nat "King" Cole, Gene Ammons, Eddie Harris, Redd Foxx, and many many others). The School was also the birthplace of quite a few R&B vocal groups, among them, The Sheppards, The Five Chances, The Rip Chords and The Five Thrills). The Calvaes were formed by Tenor Zeke Brown and Baritone James Williams in 1953. The Calvaes were friends with another Southside group named The Rip Chords. The Rip Chords were managed by Ted Daniels (who also managed The Five Thrills) and the leader of The Rip Chords, Leon Arnold, introduced Daniels to The Calvaes who he then agreed to manage. Ted Daniels took the group to the newly formed Cobra Records owned by Eli Toscano and Howard Bedno.

Cobra 5003
Mambo Fiesta/Fine Girl; 1956
The Calvaes
("Mambo Fiesta" did well in Chicago. Willie Dixon, noted Chicago Bluesman, was Cobra's Arranger/Talent Scout and house band leader. He and his band are the backing musicians on this record).

Cobra 5014
Born With Rhythm/Lonely Lonely Village;1957
The Calvaes
(The Calvaes second record was not as well recieved as their first and Tenor/Founder of The Calvaes, Zeke Brown, leaves the band. A year or so later Brown joined The Blenders (on the Aladdin label) as lead singer. Willie Dixon's Band is again backing the session.)

Checker 928
Anna Macora/So Bad;1959
The Calvaes/Oscar Boyd with The Calvaes
(After the departure of Zeke Brown, The remaining Calvaes get hooked up with the Chess label and release a record on it's subsiderary, Checker. The "A" side is credited to The Calvaes. The "B" side is credited to Oscar Boyd with The Calvaes. . Oscar Boyd had previously sung with "The Sheppards". This disc was recorded sometime in 1958, but not released until june, 1959. The Calvaes break up around the time of this release).
While the information he conveyed was interesting Rooster's communication skills need improvement. - Global_Dog_Productions

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

RE: The Calvaes US 45 Discography

Post by mackdaddyg » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:54 am

Thanks for the info, Rooster. Yet another of the many 50's groups that I've never heard of.

Thanks to YouTube, I am listening to both sides of their first single. "Mambo Fiesta" is a fun little song....but "Fine Girl" is rocking!!!!! I am in love with this tune. Gonna check out the other tunes when time allows.

Thanks again. "Fine Girl" got my morning started right!

rooster
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by rooster » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:23 pm

Mack,

"Mambo Fiesta" was recorded during a period when there was a Latin craze going on in Doo Wop/R&B music. "Fine Girl" is more along the lines of what one would think of when we talk of Doo Wop music. "Fine Girl" is led by Tenor, Donald Coles. "Mambo Fiesta" was led by lead singer, James "Zeke" Brown. I mentioned that "Zeke" Brown continued in music after the Calvaes broke up. He next sang with a group called The Blenders for a couple of discs and then moved on to the Accents (both of which I have discographies of...Stay tuned :lol:). And again, I'm happy that you're getting something out of these. thanks for looking at them.

rooster
While the information he conveyed was interesting Rooster's communication skills need improvement. - Global_Dog_Productions

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Post by mackdaddyg » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:37 pm

Thanks for the additional info, Rooster. Looking forward to future discographies. Your hard work is much appreciated.

Return to “45's”