The Tune Weavers U. S. 45 Discography

rooster
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Post by rooster » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:07 pm

This group has NO connection to any other Tune Weavers/Weavers groups.

The Tune Weavers had evolved from the jazz/pop singing duo of Margo Sylvia and her brother Gilbert Lopez. They were Joined by Margo Sylvia's Husband, John and her cousin Charlotte Davis in 1956, and named their new quartet "The Tone Weavers". In early 1957, they met Frank Paul, former band leader and now owner of the Casa Grande label.

Casa Grande 4037
Ol' Man River/Happy Happy Birthday Baby; 1957
The Tune-Weavers with Frank Paul's Orchestra

(The label spells "Tune-Weavers" with a Hyphen. This is the only release so credited. Frank Paul decides to release The Tune Weavers record. Judging from the matrix numbers, it would appear that "Ol' Man River" was the intended "A" side. If this is indeed the case, The sides were never reversed to reflect the hit [except on the checker label, but more on that in the next entry]. "Happy Happy Birthday Baby" was not an immediate hit. It languished for several months until Joe Niagara and Hy Lit of WIBG radio [Wonderful Wibbage radio] in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania began playing the song on their shows. From there Dick Clark picked up on the song and played it on his American Bandstand TV show. Chess records picked up the national distribution rights from Frank Paul and they re-released the record on the Checker subsidiary [Cat. No. 872]. The Casa Grande release had a four note Tenor sax coda on "Happy Happy Birthday Baby" that was excised from the Checker version of the song. I suppose it could be said that the checker release of this song was an edited version.)

Checker 872
Happy Happy Birthday Baby/Yo Yo Walk; 1957
The Tune Weavers/The Tune Weavers Paul Gayten

(The "A" side is credited to "The Tune Weavers". The "B" side is credited to "The Tune Weavers [in small print] and beneath that "Paul Gayton" [in large print]. In fact, "Yo Yo Walk" is an instrumental and there are no vocals whatsoever. Why the record is credited in this way is a mystery to me. Note that the Cat. No. [872] is the same as on the straight reissue of the of the Casa Grande release. The second pressing has the same Cat. No. and the same song pairing, but Paul Gayten's name is no longer credited as an artist at all. The only mention of his name is as songwriter. The first pressing is on the so called "Web label". The second pressing is on the silver on maroon label with Checker running vertically on the left side of the label.)

Checker 880
Ol' Man River/Tough Enough; 1957
The Tune Weavers with Frank Paul's Orch./Paul Gayten and his Small Tone Weavers

("Ol' Man River" is the same song as on all the other releases. "Tough Enough" is another instrumental and perhaps Paul Gayten decided name his backup band "The Small Tone Weavers". Something of a coincidence. The second pressing of Checker 880 is the same as the first except that The "B" side is credited to Paul Gayten and "The Tone Weavers".

Casa Grande 4038
I Remember Dear/Pamela Jean; 1957
The Tune Weavers with frank Paul's Orchestra

(The Tune Weavers returned to the Casa Grande label for their next release. At this point, Al Silver of the Herald/Ember labels, took over the distribution rights for The Tune Weavers releases on the Casa Grande label. Both songs are quite well done, but the record failed to make any headway with the music buying public.)

Casa Grande 4040
There Stands My Love/I'm Cold; 1958
The Tune Weavers (with Frank Paul's Orchestra) Orchestra under direction of Preston Sandiford

(Note the change in Artist Credits. This record was again well executed, but didn't catch on with the public.)

Casa Grande 101
Little Boy/Look Down That Lonesome Road; 1958
The Tune Weavers with Frank Paul's Orch. under the direction of Preston Sandiford

(This is an odd release with a completely different Cat. No. than was usual. I don't really know how this one fits into the scheme of things. Anyone who has any ideas is encouraged to post them. There were two pressings of this disc, the first was on a red label and included the label address. The second pressing is on a maroon label with no label address. Cousin Charlotte Davis left the group after this release and was replaced by Bill Morris, Jr.)

Casa Grande 3038
My Congatulations Baby/This Can't Be Love; 1960
The Tune Weavers with Frank Paul's Orchestra

(here's another record with an out of sequence Cat. No. and another record that stiffed. The label is back to the normal Silver and Black as were all of the other Casa Grande releases with the exception of Casa Grande 101. The group appears to have broken up in 1961.)

Checker 1007
Congratulations On Your Wedding/Your Skies Of Blues; 1962
The Tune Weavers

(Just when The Tune Weavers final release for Checker was recorded is in question. My personal assumption is that it was recorded back in 1957 when the rest of the Checker releases appeared. I have never actually been able to confirm this. Please post any opinions.)

Classic Artists 104
Come Back To Me/I've Tried; 1988
Margo Sylvia And The Tune Weavers

Classic Artists 107
Merry Merry Christmas Baby/What Are You Doing New Years Eve; 1988
Margo Sylvia And The Tune Weavers

(Both of these releases on the Classic Artists label are credited to Margo Sylvia And The Tune Weavers, But the songs were actually recorded by Margo Sylvia solo with her voice multi-tracked creating the group sound.)
While the information he conveyed was interesting Rooster's communication skills need improvement. - Global_Dog_Productions

Heidler
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

The Tune Weavers U.S. 45 Discography

Post by Heidler » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:33 am

Good information from you Rooster, as always, and thanking you for selecting this wonderful group for a Discography.

Not worth much to most, but I spoke with Margo Sylvia (nee Lopez ) in 1982 at San Francisco, California ( Page 351 - Paras II thru IV )

" The Way We Were "

"HAPPY BIRTHDAYS" { Excerpts }
Also includes The Crests, Neil Sedaka, Kathy Young and The Innocents, and Stevie Wonder, among others under this heading. ( but NOT those bloody Beatles! )

The Tune Weavers:

Ms. Sylvia said that she had first written " Part of the song as a poem in 1952 for a boy ( who later became a group-member in The Sophomores ) his name was Donny Clements " *
" I wanted him to know I was thinking about him on his birthday "
" We very young, but you always remember your first true love "
( Edit: This unit was the Boston-based ( Roxbury ) Sophomores group who recorded output for the New York City-based Dawn* / Seeco labels* as well as Chord, and Epic )
(* both owned by Sidney Siegel )

Margo also stated that they ( Tune-Weavers ) had recorded in Boston and that Frank Paul had booked a block of 24 hours studio time which was supposed to have been used over several sessions (however, their first session lasted " almost 18 hours " in March, 1957 )

Margo: " I was very pregnant and had to sit on a stool for most of it "

( Rooster is correct: " Ol' Man River " was indeed intended as the " A " Side upon initial release )

Interestingly, Al Silver ( Herald-Ember Records ) stated:
" I did business with a man by the name of Frank Paul, he had a little label over in Massachusetts and I bought some masters from him "
" He was the man who first had The Tune Weavers, they'd had a big hit for Chess { Checker } and after a few more records, he brought them to me through a master deal he'd made with Doug Moody " *
" You might say that Casa Grande became part of Herald-Ember because we started distributing for him " ( Frank Paul )

* Doug Moody, along with his father Walt, ran Clock Records*
(* the label with the # 1- million-selling " Happy Organ " ) and later worked for Al Silver at Herald / Ember.
(* Clock had been distributed by Ember, then switched to Mercury )
Doug would later launch his famous Hollywood-based Mystic label ( ironically located in the old offices of Del Fi Records - 6277 Selma Avenue )

The lovely Margo later moved down to San Diego, and passed away at Hillside Hospital in 1991.

Apologies for being so long-winded, but I won't be posting much here again ( unless I'm told about some more excellent entries such as yours )

Thanks Rooster!

H
The best part of the day...is the night...

Return to “45's”