The Plants/George Jackson US 45 Discography

rooster
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

The Plants/George Jackson US 45 Discography

Post by rooster » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:44 am

The Plants were formed by four friends in Baltimore, Maryland during 1955. They originally named themselves "The Equadors" and did play gigs locally around Baltimore under this name for about two years.

In 1957, they were harmonizing in the alley behind the Royal Theater in Baltimore when they were brought backstage to Zell Sanders, owner of J&S records for whom they auditioned. Sanders liked them, agreed to manage them and changed their name to "The Plants". They received contracts in the mail shortly afterwards along with a studio date. The group drove to New York to record.

J&S 1602
Dear I Swear/It's You; 1957
The Plants
("Dear I Swear" became local hit in Baltimore and the group were able to tour the east coast and appeared on Baltimore's Buddy Deane Show on television, but the song never broke nationally).

J&S 1604
Congratulations Honey/There Must Be A Reason; 1957
Baby Washington
(The Plants are the uncredited backing vocalists on this record)

J&S 1617
From Me/My Girl; 1958
The Plants
(The Plants 2nd release fell flat and the group chose to disband. Lead vocalist, George Jackson continued in music for a few years).

Neptune 107
Workout/Let's Love The Moonlight; 1959
Baby Washington
(This is presumably the real Plants group recorded pre-breakup).

J&S 248/249
I Searched The Seven Seas/I Took A Trip Way Across the Sea; 1959
The Plants
(This release, according to Plants lead vocalist George Jackson, is by a completely different group that was put together by Zell Sanders. No one seems to know why sanders did this.)

Lescay 3006
Watching The Rainbow/Miss Frankenstein; 1966
George Jackson with The Unisons
("The Unisons" are actually a group named Sonny And The Dukes who had recorded on the Reverb label)

Double R 248
When I Stop Lovin' You/That Lonely Night; 1966
George Jackson
(The Jive Five is the uncredited backup group on this single. The Cameo label picked this record up for national distribution and released it as Cameo 460 in 1967. The "A" side was a hit for Jackson in Baltimore and the surrounding area).

Mercury 72736
Tossin' And Turnin'/Kiss Me; 1967
George Jackson

Mercury 72782
I Don't Have The Time To Love You/Don't Use Me; 1968
George Jackson
(This and the preceding 45 went nowhere and Jackson dropped from the music world).
While the information he conveyed was interesting Rooster's communication skills need improvement. - Global_Dog_Productions

mackdaddyg
R.C.Guild-SM
R.C.Guild-SM

Re: The Plants/George Jackson US 45 Discography

Post by mackdaddyg » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:25 pm

Really cool to start seeing this kind of info here again.

Thanks Rooster.

rooster
R.C.Guild-M-SMR
R.C.Guild-M-SMR

Re: The Plants/George Jackson US 45 Discography

Post by rooster » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:43 pm

Thanks for the kind words, Mack. Stay tuned.

rooster
While the information he conveyed was interesting Rooster's communication skills need improvement. - Global_Dog_Productions

Return to “45's”